D&D 5E Best Adventures to Convert?

Retreater

Legend
I'm looking for what you think would be the best adventures/modules to adapt to 5e, with probably a focus on 3.5 and earlier.
I'm specifically looking for something that would be a good basis for a campaign (or could fit in one nicely).

GlassJaw

Hero
I love the 3ed adventures from Necromancer games: Vault of Larkin Karr, Lost City of Barakus, and Tomb of Abysthor are great. They are great sandbox campaigns too.

Last edited:

Personally, I think the Pathfinder Adventure Paths are all extremely well done, and most are entire campaigns. It's not necessarily the easiest stuff to convert -- 3e and PF NPCs are particularly difficult, IMO -- but if you can ad hoc monsters and such it's pretty well put together.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you like a big dungeon with several subsections, factions and ELDRICH HORROR then you can't go wrong with the Gates of Firestorm Peak! It can fit in any setting - I did it in 5e Yoon Suin!

ccs

41st lv DM
Desert of Desolation.
I love this adventure. I've run it in 1e, 2e, 3x, & now 5e. You can change details, omit things, expand things, introduce virtually anything as the party treks/wanders through the desert....

The Forest Oracle.
Yes, The Forest Oracle. Stop laughing.
It does get rightly mocked for amazingly poor writing. And for "bad" encounters. But the essential, low lv, quest is solid enough.
And you can very easily fix those "bad" encounters with a bit of thought. And like DoD above, there's plenty of room to add stuff.
Waaay back in 1e when it was new we played it straight as written. And it WAS bad. But I recognized potential.....
Since 5e launched I've now used this module (modified) as the start point for 3 different 5e campaigns & 1 PF2 campaign (4 different groups, no overlap). I've milked this crappy adventure for for years of play.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
1) Age of Worms, Savage Tide (APs from Dungeon Magazine, 3.5)

2) Old BECMI modules. I suggest this series:
  • Lvl 1-3: you can choose between Keep on the Borderlands, Horror on the Hill, Rahasia, The Eye of Traldar
  • Lvl 3-5: Night's Dark Terror
  • Lvl 5-7: The Isle of Dread
  • Lvl 7: Drums on Fire Mountain
  • Lvl 7-8: Master of the Desert Nomads
  • Lvl 8-9: Temple of Death
  • Lvl 9-10: War Rafts of Kron
  • Lvl 11-13: Red Arrow, Black Shield
  • Lvl 15-17: Test of the Warlords
  • Lvl 17-18: Death's Ride
  • Lvl 18-19: Sabre River
  • Lvl 19-20: Into the Maelstrom

3) Pathfinder's Adventure Paths. I suggest:
  • Reign of Winter
  • Curse of the Crimson Throne
  • Kingmaker
  • Strange Aeons
  • Skulls & Shackles
  • Shattered Star

4) Old AD&D modules. I suggest:
  • Against the Cult of the Reptile god
  • Slavers series
  • Tomb of the Lizard King
  • Lost Caverns of Tsojicanth
  • City of Skulls

Nebulous

Legend
The Forest Oracle.
Yes, The Forest Oracle. Stop laughing.
It does get rightly mocked for amazingly poor writing. And for "bad" encounters. But the essential, low lv, quest is solid enough.
And you can very easily fix those "bad" encounters with a bit of thought. And like DoD above, there's plenty of room to add stuff.
Waaay back in 1e when it was new we played it straight as written. And it WAS bad. But I recognized potential.....
Since 5e launched I've now used this module (modified) as the start point for 3 different 5e campaigns & 1 PF2 campaign (4 different groups, no overlap). I've milked this crappy adventure for for years of play.

Ok, you've made me want to find this abomination and see what the fuss is about :)

Remove ads