D&D 5E Best Adventures to Convert?

Shiroiken

Legend
Temple of Elemental Evil (original 1E) is a great campaign starter, or even a mini-campaign in itself. I used it to kickstart my first 5E campaign, and it worked fairly well.

Desert of Desolation is a great concept for a full campaign with just a bit of expansion. I honestly believe that WotC will do this one as an AP at some point.

Keep on the Borderlands is a classic intro/starter adventure for many campaigns. Obviously you need to expand upon it for the rest of the campaign, but it gets you going.

Against the Cult of the Reptile God is a really good adventure, conceptually. The ending always feels a bit Duex Ex Machina, but this is easily fixed by raising the level to 3-4 and using an intelligent Bone Naga, or raising it to level 5-6 and using the evil naga (whose name eludes me at the moment). The charm part doesn't work by normal charm magic, but I added a minor artifact (the one that let the Bone Naga keep its intelligence) perform the charm. Destroying it set up the next adventure.

Retreater

Legend
Wow. Lots of great ideas. I have been sitting on a print copy of Desert of Desolation for over a decade now. That seems like a good start. Maybe as a lead-in to Gary Gygax's Necropolis (from Necromancer Games).

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
+1 for Keep on the Borderlands.
Whatever new system you are converting into, you will have a variety of monsters to work with.

Remove ads