Best Alternative for D&D Miniatures?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Amnuxoll seems hardly new (7.5 years registered). If he hasn't picked up his core DDM monsters by now, he never will, no matter wether DDM is in print or not.

As a GM that uses minis, I've got oodles of older DDM miniatures, usually 12 from each common, 4-6 ftom each uncommon, and 1-2 from each rare, across multiple sets that makes for a large selection (maybe to large). DDM is ideal for 'cheap' (because if you know where to buy they really are cheap) and I can actually throw them in a bag and not worry to much about them getting damaged. The prepainted is nice enough, some of their rares are indeed great 'end bosses' but for that I usually go for something unique (usually metal or resin that needs to get painted), I sometimes want that extra WOW factor from the players.

But to be honest, I stopped buying DDM a while ago, as I already had most of the iconic monsters, and a lot of the monsters were getting less and less mainstream. I might have a look at the range in the near future, have to seriously look at what I have and what I don't and fill in some of the holes...

I think we'll see some interesting collectors sets in the future (still need to get my hands on that Beholder set)....

As for alternatives, Rackham did decent prepainted fantasy plastics, they are out of business. It seems that WizKids is going to ressurect MageKnight, so depending on quality and range, that might be interesting to keep an eye on. Personally I found most of the early MK minis horribly painted and most of the miniatures to specific to be useful in my D&D games, there were some 'gems' but the MK secondary market was pretty horrible around were I lived and most of the interesting miniatures were 'very rare' and often cost a ton online.

Heroscape also went belly up, besides Reaper and the WotC collectors sets (if we'll ever see those) there's no one producing pre-painted plastic fantasy miniatures at the moment. With the restructuring and rebranding at Reaper we might see some more prepainted Reaper miniatures, but I seriously doubt it.

JustKim

First Post
Reaper has recently restructured their company and seems to be putting a much greater emphasis on prepainted plastic, with two out of three divisions dedicated to it (one Legendary Encounters, the other plastic dinosaurs I guess). I know that communication back and forth between Reaper and the Chinese manufacturer of the miniatures was an ongoing setback for the line before, so this could be a big deal.

I think Reaper is poised to inherit the prepainted plastic market, and we will see stronger offerings from them in the near future.

NewJeffCT

First Post
What I've done in the past is buy Warhammer plastic army boxes and have somebody paint them for me. You'll pay more than you did with DDM, but you'll get what you want in terms of colors and you'll be able to get a bunch of different poses/weapons. A box of 20 Empire militia is $35 from GW itself, but you should be able to get that from a hobby store for $28 or so, so $1.40 each, unpainted. You can probably get a similar amount of goblins for that amount. But, if my link works correctly, they have 20 figures and 20 different looks to them . Empire Free Company | Games Workshop

I've bought a bunch of boxes and then shipped them overseas to Asia to get painted and have had good results that way. You can get them painted for $2.00 to $4.00 per figure and twice that for "leaders" or "bosses" I'd recommend either doing it in bulk, or having several of your gaming buddies get together & send together.

I won't advertise any specific service, but you can send me a PM if you want names/recommendations.

pawsplay

Hero
I've ordered a troll from Reaper's to check out the line, but was quite disappointed with that mini. Compared to the DDM minis the Reaper troll was a wimpy, little guy who could hide behind any orc.

I like those trolls. But, they are smaller... I use them for cave trolls. For an old AD&D style swamp troll, I've gone back to metal. I was not a big fan of any of the DDM trolls.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases