• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best bang for the buck for a level-adjusted race?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Has anyone tried to play an Aranea sorcerer?

Sure, they're EL+4 but they also start with three sorcerer levels...
I am currently using an Aranea sorcerer as an NPC. She is loads of fun, especially now that I have my PC convinced that she is not the Grey Elven female she appears to be. :)

Last edited:

samb1230

First Post
I like the phenic template and the the half-fey. Both are +2 LA, phenic gives you alot of good powers that are used as psi-like abilities. Half-fey's charm AT WILL is always useful.

Githyanki I think are better than the zerth IMO. I think zerth is better for a +1 LA +2 is a bit much. Look at all the cool psi-like abilities you have as a yanki, which you can change with feats (which are also better than zerths).

Saint template mentioned earlier is very much worth it, esp if you plan on tanking.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nope.

Everything is HD related except for starting money and xp.

Everything else is based on HD, level-based feats, (and ability increases), max skill ranks, etc.

DMG pg 172

"Use ECL instead of character level when. . ."
Eh- that's what I get for posting on this without my books handy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I do prefer the racial level idea as presented in Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved games, but not everyone can use them.

Drowbane

First Post
Why did it take me so long to notice this thread... oh well, I guess late to the party is better than missing it altogether!

Some of my favorites...

LA 0
* anthropomorphic bat (savage species): size small. land speed 5, fly speed 20, +6 wis, -4 str, -2 cha (makes great druids, especially after lvl 5)
* dwarf (PHB): most powerful core race
* elan (XPH): abusable expanded race
* faen (Monte's Arcana Unearthed/Evolved): simply an awesome race. I've adapted it to be my homebrew's "elf". Faen-sprites are great casters.
* warforged (ECS): most powerful expanded race

LA 1
* dark creature (Tome of Magic): hide in plain sight, who cares if you get anything else (and you do)?
* draconic creature: half dragon lite. Not too shabby.
* feral (savage species): decent for the cost, increasingly awesome if you have non-class HD.
* half-ogre (dragon mag): stupidly powerful. +4 str (I don't remember what else atm) and you get all the mods of a size increase (med to large nets you a +12 str, etc)
* half-ogre (savage species): a solid race for LA 1.
* mineral warrior (underdark): ridiculously good. DR 8/adamantine, and other lesser things

LA 2
* grave-touched ghoul (libris mortis, book of bad latin): str +2, dex +4, int +2, wis +4, cha +2, claws, bite, paralysis... whats not to like? Oh right, that whole "evil, gotta eat people" thing.
* half-celestial (exalted deeds): if you knock off all of the HD-requirement abilities, its LA 2. BoED says so.
* half-dragon (savage species): This version of 1/2 dragon doesn't get the BW or energy immunity. I call it "lesser half-dragon".
* phrenic (XPH): very nice package of psionic SLAs. +2 int, +2 wis, +4 cha.
* saint (BoED): benchmark LA 2.
* shadow creature (Lords of Madness): stronger version of Dark. You're always in stealth mode as long as you're not in daylight.
* winged (savage species): perfect maneuverablity if you manage to have a 17+ dex (considering it gives you a +4, this is almost a sure thing)

Last edited:

AbyssKnight

First Post
A recent discovery from another board, Primordial Half Giant.

-2 str, -2 dex, +4 Int, +4 Cha, invisibility/invisibility purge/levitate (choose one) at will, stomp 1/day, +1 caster level for spell like abilities (theoretically applies to all warlock invocations), powerful build, naturally psionic, fire acclimated, +2 Spellcraft/UMD.

Perfect for almost any arcane caster! And all for +1 LA. Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xendrik, Half Giant from Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Some of my favorites...

LA 0

* elan (XPH): abusable expanded race
Could you explain this?

Is it because not humaniod?
Is it because they live forever? (how many times does that xcome in to play?)
(Is it the ability to ignore damage up to power points used in that way, 1 /round as immediate action)

Really the last ability is more of a fail safe and not a good thing to rely on. Otherwise you'll be hemoraging power points (and you need to have a psionic class to have a decent amount)

Elethiomel

First Post
* half-ogre (dragon mag): stupidly powerful. +4 str (I don't remember what else atm) and you get all the mods of a size increase (med to large nets you a +12 str, etc)
I really doubt that a half-ogre will get its racial bonuses *and* the medium->large adjustments on top of them. Every single Large race I've encountered does not have this stipulation.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Except 1/2 Ogre Template explicitly says you do. Dragon 313.

Remember, it isn't a race, but a template.

There is a 1/2 Ogre race in Races of Destiny but it sucks for its LA and penalties.

Remove ads