Best Cover Songs of All Time

Sacrosanct

Legend
Phil took a lot of flack for Genesis's 80s pop turn* and for daring to make easy-listening music, but the man clearly has amazing technical knowledge surrounding the making of music.
*which honestly was in the works at the end of the Gabriel ear. Genesis's turn at experimental art-rock had run its' course.
The story behind that famous drum rift from In the Air Tonight is interesting. Total accident. And then electronics came into use and every other band under the sun did the same thing, only with electronic help. But Collins did it first, and all manually.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The story behind that famous drum rift from In the Air Tonight is interesting. Total accident. And then electronics came into use and every other band under the sun did the same thing, only with electronic help. But Collins did it first, and all manually.
On a side note from the side note: It can be pretty amazing what people were able to do with chalkboards, clipboards, stopwatches, and multiple hands on the controls (Dark Side of the Moon, I'm looking at you). Checking out some of the shows about classic albums can be a real eye opener.

That's what I mean. He was messing around heard something he liked and knew what to do with it. Much like I say with Dusturbed's cover of Sound of Silence ('Like it or dislike it, I'm sure David Draiman is doing with his voice exactly what he thinks it should be doing'), Collins has some supreme mastery in terms of composition and tonal output -- everything that is there is supposed to be there, and you can decide for yourself whether that's a good decision or not. It's a genuine masterpiece, even though I have a hard time listening to it anymore since it has been used and overused by every TV show trying to evoke a sense of foreboding, etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
Bad wolves "Zombie" was pretty good.

Miley Cyrus' "Zombie was not.

At least Miley tried, unlike Madonna butchering this classic.

I was originally going to nominate this cover by the Bangles of the Simon and Garfunkel song.

Think I like Bad Wolves better than the original.

This is actually worse than I remembered. They really butchered it.

All Saints Under The Bridge

Remove ads