Best D&D Novels- Of All TIme

carrot

Explorer
I was always fairly keen on the Eberron books. I seem to recall the Keith Baker and James Wyatt series were quite good. It has been a long time since I last read them though...

Yo, [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION], I'ma let you finish, but Dragonlance Legends was one of the best D&D trilogies of all time! Of all time!!!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The best D&D novels of all time... are not officially D&D novels.

Villains by Necessity, by Eve Forward is set in a world in which Good has won. And what results from that. I have not seen a statement by Ms. Forward that this was built on D&D, but I find it difficult to think otherwise, as the character classes are pretty darned clear. Unfortunately, this one is currently out of print.

The Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon, is the story of a paladin coming into her powers, and her career. It is a trilogy (Sheepfamer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, and Oath of Gold), and I'd recommend it to just about anyone interested in D&D novels.

Grunts by Mary Gentle... isn't gentle. It includes the line, "Pass me another elf, Sergeant. Mine's split." It isn't really about D&D. It is about orcs. But orcs are either Tolkien or D&D. And these orcs get assault rifles. So.. it ain't Tolkien. It also has what I feel is the absolute best cheesy opening sentence ever written in the fantasy genre.

Dioltach

Legend
In that vein, there's also Goblin Quest and its sequels by Jim C. Hines. A human knight and wizard, an elven thief and a dwarven priest enter a dungeon. They encounter a goblin. This is his story.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
None of the D&D books really stood out, though I do admit I preferred Dragonlance to the Forgotten Realms book. The first trilogies of Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance books do have some aspects to them that seem as if they could have happened in a tabletop session; more so than later books. I do like The Black Wing, only because the very faulty protagonist is a black dragon who messes up a lot throughout and I found it fresh in a way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases