D&D General Best Dungeons for Inspiration?

Retreater

Legend
I'm creating a dungeon and I'm looking for published examples for inspiration (not to run).
What are some of the best designed ones? I'm looking for examples more like Jacquay's Caverns of Thracia, more than tournament adventures like Tomb of Horrors with little internal logic.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm a big fan of a little known module called Tears of the Crocodile God by Will Doyle, from 4th edition's digital Dungeon magazine #209. There's a reason Chris Perkins praised the adventure so highly – it's not just the nice cartography, it's a masterfully designed dungeon. Will demonstrates a lot of the stuff from the Jacquaying the Dungeon article (on the Alexandrian blog), while keeping tightly on theme throughout.

From Will's blog: Dungeon 209: Tears of the Crocodile God

DM Guild link: Dungeon #209 (4e) - Wizards of the Coast | Dungeons & Dragons 4e | Dungeons & Dragons 4e | Dungeon Masters Guild

As far as guiding principles, I highly recommend checking out these two resources:

Justin Alexander's article series "Jacquaying the Dungeon": Jaquaying the Dungeon

Ben from Questing Beast:

Last edited:

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I always liked Tomb of Abysthor from Necromancer Games. Large, but not mega, Dungeon with a good back history and reason for a party to go explore it. It also had a fun design, multiple ways to go between levels, different groups on different levels. It helped me learn how to build more versatile Dungeons.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Interesting question, another Jacquay module I'm fond of is Dark Tower?
I also love Dark Tower but the OP wanted examples with internal logic; and Dark Tower is more or less a complete madhouse - which is what makes it great! :)

The physical layout and design in Dark Tower, however, is excellent. L1 Bone Hill is another, smaller example of great physical layout design.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases