• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best First Level Module for New Players

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Can't go wrong with In Search of the Unknown.

It's got mystery, a cool setting, interesting creatures and treasure, and teaches the all important D&D lesson that the most deadly thing your character will ever encounter is a pool. Or a statue.

Lazybones

Adventurer
For new players, I would skip modules with complicated plots and lots of detailed roleplaying (not that those are bad, I love those kinds of mods for my veteran players!), and just set up a simple dungeon with a few set-pieces that allow each class to shine. A trap or two, a few low-CR monsters, maybe some undead, and a couple of situations where skills are useful. I'd even consider using pregen character sheets that explain in some detail what the various stats and abilities are for.

You can take part of an existing module for this, like the moathouse from the original Hommlet, or part of the Sunless Citadel, or one of the Caves of Chaos from KotB. Dungeon magazine has a lot of good choices, and so does WotC (for example, The Burning Plague)

00Machado

First Post
I'd stay away from something too dungeon centric. If they've never played before, the adventure should help you shape their idea of what you want a play experience to be like. For me, that means some talking encounters, some where you avoid fighting through stealth, some investigation, some combat where they win, an outdoor encounter preferably, Also, it should be resolveable in one session, while leaving some open plot threads they can decide they're going to pursue next time.

I like in the Belly of the Beast. I like Sunless Citadel, but wouldn't run it for new timers, since it's so dungeon centric. I don't have much experience with other low level published adventures.

drscott46

First Post
http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/n4.htm

One interesting alternative is N4 Treasure Hunt, which starts characters as 0-level humans trying to survive a shipwreck. Over the course of the adventure the PCs work their way up to 1st level and a character class. It's a good choice if your new players really have no idea what they want to play or any connection with a traditional fantasy sort of milieu. (That's less common with Lord of the Rings and the like so mainstream these days, but still.)

Bad Paper

First Post
Lazybones said:
For new players, I would skip modules with complicated plots and lots of detailed roleplaying (not that those are bad, I love those kinds of mods for my veteran players!), and just set up a simple dungeon with a few set-pieces that allow each class to shine. A trap or two, a few low-CR monsters, maybe some undead, and a couple of situations where skills are useful.
Unless your new players are children, I disagree. The plots and roleplaying are what hook adults into playing a game that is otherwise just DnD Minis. What's important is to show them that you leave off one session...and pick up right there at the next session...and this game goes on for a long time, not all in one sitting, like Chutes and Ladders.

That said, I'm a fan of the Sunless Citadel. I have played through Three Days to Kill, and it's good as far as it's not a dungeon crawl, and not too long, but it's not terribly solid, either. I think the Keep on the Borderlands is one of the worst modules ever.

Darklone

Wizards amulet by necromancergames hasn't been mentioned. Comes along with pregenerated chars and leads straight towards Crucible of Freya. These two together are essentially a small campaign setting.

Twowolves

Explorer
I second Wizard's Amulet/Crucible of Freya. One of the best for 3rd ed.

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is also excellent, from 1st ed.

Other than those two, just get a copy of a Dungeon magazine index, and about 3/4 of the low level adventures in there for any edition will be excellent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads