• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best First Level Module for New Players

bento

Explorer
DCC 35A: Halls of the Minotaur is really good because the characters have to be 0-level to start. It's intended to turn "ordinaries" into "heroes." Because the players are a bit handicapped, they must really think things through because any encounter can prove to be deadly if they hack n' slash.

The downside is you have to purchase "Gazetteer of the Known Realms", a $70 box set to get it. But if you're also looking for a generic-fantasy setting, its' great too!

seans23 said:
who doesn't like dungeon crawls?

Er, some people...

jasin said:
To RPG newbies (not just D&D newbies), having to get through a ruin that's a war zone for two monstrous subterranean races to find out the source of the insidious magical fruit should be the coolest thing ever

Er, not necessarily, in my experience. It generally doesn't pay to assume that people will like what you think they should like.

Harking back, the Lost Island of Castanimir was a good low-level adventure for 1st ed. Poking around a wizard's hideaway, odd magic, a balance of fights to non-fights.

Sir Elton

First Post
Shane_Leahy said:
I am looking for some insight on the best low-level module for new players. I may be asked to run something on the side once in awhile for some new players who want to try D&D (though I may use C&C). I have run Keep on the Borderlands alot and want something else.

Edition does not matter, I can convert whatever. I have some ideas in my head what is out there but wanted to hear from others.

I want to run a module because of time constraints and if I get the basic ideas done for me then I can concentrate on making the other parts come alive for the players.

Thanks

Castle Caldwell and Beyond is a great collection of adventures I just read through. I suggest the "Clearing of Castle Caldwell" and the "Abduction of the Princess."

Remove ads