• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Gazetteers for BECM D&D

The Highway Man

First Post
Hi there everybody.

I have the ultimate fondest memories of GAZ1 - The Grand Duchy of Karameikos. One of the best setting supplements of any edition combined. I also own GAZ11 - Republic of Darokin.

Now, here's my question: what Gazetteers of the Known World should I purchase next?

Voadam

Legend
I take it since you love Gaz 1 that you like fairly straight fantasy and are not looking for historical myth injection.

Along these lines I like the Glantri wizards one for the magocracy, the Minrothads guilds for naval guild powers (but not the Ierendi Isles which has a silly disneyland for adventurers thing), the demihuman land ones (elves of alfheim, Dwarves of Rockhome, The Five Shires) The orcs of Thar.

Shadow Elves is neat for an alt drow/underdark one as well.

Empires of Thyatis and Alphatia is good but Alphatia is a bit over the top in high magic, I prefer the tone of Glantri.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
The only one I regretted getting was Ierendi - silly, and not in a good way.

The two I enjoyed most and got most use of were Dawn of the Emperors and The Northern Reaches.

crash_beedo

First Post
Gaz 3, Glantri. Absolutely amazing. It has a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor (that can be ignored) but it could really be it's own stand-alone campaign world in a society where wizards rule.

Voadam

Legend
What was bad about it?

I don't have it, so I'm actually curious because two people called it out in this thread.

Its a resort set of carribean islands where they have theme park pretend adventures. Adventurer theme park is the basis of their economy.

For a good artificial adventure set up I'd suggest something like X-Crawl instead.

Wik

First Post
Yeah, Ierendi sucked.

My personal favourite (until it, along with my other GAZ books, were "borrowed" by a player who then disappeared!) was the Northern Reaches. It had a good set up, the rules content worked fairly well in actual play, and the different Viking kingdoms were well thought out.

(they pretty much were depictions of the Vikings in different historical eras, but put together in the campaign world in a logical way that made sense... you had traditional Vikings who fought for the old ways, a sort of in-between land of vikigns who adapted to some of the new ways but also fiercely defended their particular worldviews, and then you had a viking economy that was turning merchant and medieval).

Plus, there was some nice language information, and a good rules set that reflected actually RPing your character - you gave your character scores in certain Viking personality types, and if something came up, you could roll to determine how he'd act because of his personality. Some Players would hate it, but I think the basic idea behind this mechanic was sound, as it allowed a designer much more leeway in showing off the cultural traits of any particular nation simply by using these tables. Used in a creative way, I think the tables would really enhance role-playing.

I like the Shires one as well, but I don't like the class that came with it. Plus, it had very little use in a campaign setting, especially BECMI, because there were very few predominately halfling groups out there. It'd work for short adventures, but unlike some of the other GAZ books, it couldn't really become the cornerstone of a whole campaign.

Glantri was kind of cool, but I think I need to read it over again, because I don't remember much. I didn't like Karameikos, as it seemed too "Cookier Cutter" for me when I read it a long time ago. Alfheim added those elf skills, which really just made elves in BECMI that much better... don't remember the setting.

I always wanted to read the Dwarves of Rockhome, though. Many years ago, I torrented it to take a look at it, but I felt very guilty, and deleted it before I gave it more than a cursory glance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads