Best House rules you've encountered

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Wounds: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/240891-wound-system.html#post4649572

I introduced it into my current game and what is so nice about it is that you can choose if you want to take a wound or not. In other words, there is very little controversy to introduce this into the campaign. :)

In a hard fight you can take a wound instead of going down, or to avoid dying. You get some lasting nasty side effects, but you might avoid dying. Nearly no character dies in my current campaign, and it is just a hassle when a character dies, so I think this is a very nice option.

yup very very 4e style wound system puts the players in the drivers seat.... I think my players like rolling their own defenses.... the best of any the house rules... others fade in the background but players making (most) all the die rolls is very in your face.

Sporemine

First Post
I have a few that I use:

You need to be creative in order for these to work.

Critical miss:
Any roll resulting in a 1 incurs a penalty relative to what was being performed (Eg. A critical miss on a climb roll causes the character to fall, and take some handholds with them. The DC to climb the object is increased by 10)

Heroic moves:
This is a player favourite in my campagain and is something that makes the game more fun for everybody.
If the players want to do it, and it makes some sense, let them do it.
The best example I can give for this one happened a few campagains back. The party was low level and busy attacking a goblin stronghold when they came across some goblins that had hastily themselves in a dining hall, overturning and hiding behind tables to set up crossbow attack positions.
The partt barbarian asked if he could run straight in and tackle the table, crushing one of the goblins under it.
I said he could.
He made an unarmed charge attack, which he succeeded, then made and athletics check to stay on his feet.
I dealt higher than average damage to the goblin for his creativity, ending up with a splattered goblin and a happy barbarian.
It wasn't a signifigant kill in the long run, but the entire party had a good time with the kill and enjoyed the rest of the encounter a lot more.

Try these out.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
My fave rule (possibly even more than my own HRs) is this one for DMs:

Switch one monetary parcel per level with an item of the party's level. Because, ya know, being the one player without a new toy sucks.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I don't like dealing with items as treasure so whenever I give out an item, I just say you get an item of X level and the PCs can choose who gets it and what it is. I also allow players to buy and sell magic items at cost.

I have had no balance issues and think the rules for selling items are needlessly restrictive. Likewise, I don't like dealing with wishlists. If I'm going so far as to engineer treasure to fit what the PCs already want, why not go all the way and cut out one more thing I have to deal with during my DM prep? Makes my life easier and the players happier.

I could never do this in 3e where items could easily break the game, but in 4e it works fine.

Cwheeler

First Post
I'm another one of those people who doesn't like having to litter treasure around his dungeons like chocolate in a garden on Easter.

...But neither do I like handing my players a book and saying 'go wild'!

...Or walking around with the GDP of a small nation in their pockets...

For this reason, I've become a big fan of systems that replace the majority of magic items with bonuses as the PC's level.

Remove ads