• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best House rules you've encountered

Thartiel

First Post
We already have found the worst so why not the best now?
Post the BEST house rules you've came across here.

I'll go first:We could sell mundane items for 3/4 price

Obergnom

First Post
Stalker0s Obsidian Skill Challenge System

and

eamons Simpler Treasure System with (mostly) Random Loot

both fix things in 4e to be closer to my prefered style of gaming.

Thartiel

First Post
Oh he also made it so you could only critically fumble with weapons you aren't proficient with, and in some situations ( Like our Barbarian who used to be a tavern brawler) You could have an unarmed proficiency

Holy Bovine

First Post
An extended rest regains the PC no hit points but all of their surges come back. This does a good job of getting some lasting effects of a rough day (ie if you end a day of adventuring and, after spending all of your surges, you still have damage you will either be down that many hp the next day or down a surge or two as you use them to heal up). It has happened a few times after some tough adventures that even after an exteneded rest we had 2-3 people down 1 or more surges the next day. I am also thinking of charging PCs a surge to get rid of a failed death save (once outside of combat of course).

aco175

Legend
My group likes using an action point to reroll the to-hit for a encounter or daily power. I would say that 40% OF AP"s are used this way.

Nytmare

David Jose
  • Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge
  • Tough Minions
  • Stalker0's Obsidian Skill challenge

PS: Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Wounds: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/240891-wound-system.html#post4649572

I introduced it into my current game and what is so nice about it is that you can choose if you want to take a wound or not. In other words, there is very little controversy to introduce this into the campaign. :)

In a hard fight you can take a wound instead of going down, or to avoid dying. You get some lasting nasty side effects, but you might avoid dying. Nearly no character dies in my current campaign, and it is just a hassle when a character dies, so I think this is a very nice option.

weem

First Post
Shared initiatives.

1. Enemies roll initiatives (I choose an average bonus and roll twice choosing highest), PC's roll initiatives.

2. Any PC's who got higher than monsters go now.

3. ALL Monsters go.

4. ALL PC's go, including those who got to go in step 2, in whatever order they want

5. Repeat 3 and 4 till done.

This...

...sped up combat for our games
...allowed the group to really work together well planning out attacks, let them get very tactical.

Remove ads