• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Kensei weapons?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I would go further and question why the kensei's two initial weapon picks must be one melee and one ranged weapon. Why not just "two weapons" and let the player pick?

Related Question Should melee weapons that have a Thrown range be valid as a ranged weapon choice for the Kensei?

Good question, by no means a rules expert but under RAW I would think since classed as melee weapons they would not count as a ranged weapon of choice.

However I would allow this at my table especially if the player had a particular concept they wanted to run with.

Related Question Should melee weapons that have a Thrown range be valid as a ranged weapon choice for the Kensei?

If you are talking about initial weapon choices, to be a ranged weapon, it must be listed under "simple ranged weapons" or "martial ranged weapons" on the table on P149 of the PHB. Thus Dart (shiruken) is a valid choice - you still have to choose it to be a kensai weapon even if it is already a monk weapon. However, Javalin (for example) would count as your melee weapon choice, since it is listed under "simple melee weapons". A weapon that can be used for melee or thrown counts as a kensai weapon for both, including Kensai's Shot ability, which specifies "ranged attack" not "ranged weapon".

Having said that, I believe the intent of the author was to prevent the kensai from choosing two ranged weapons, and I probably wouldn't enforce this rule as DM.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Makes sense. I'm leaning towards the thrown range means it's both. Probably doesn't matter much since most characters use 1-2 weapons throughout their careers.

Last edited:

For a kensai it makes most mechanical sense for them to start out with a longsword (1d10, most common magic weapon) then shift to a whip at level 17 (same damage, +reach). Longbow is usually the best ranged weapon available (longest range, no loading), unless you are small, in which case I would look at sling (b damage) and dart. One could conceivably make a hand crossbow master build, but I wouldn't rate it optimal because monks have so many other things they can do with a Quick Action.

Suggested picks (based purely on mechanical advantage and RAW):

3: Longsword, Longbow
6: Whip
11: Sling
17: whatever awesome magic weapon you have found by now

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads