D&D 5E Best monster for "cleaning up" dead bodies..

That_DM_Lady

First Post
Running a one shot where the cultists dispose of corpses after ritualistic killing. I wanted to have a side room that is kind of their dump for said bodies, and was trying to decide what type of monster would be best. I'm thinking it needs to be either low intellect or loyal/something that can be controlled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

..Would a gelatinous cube be dumb?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Gelatinous cube was basically designed for this. Not intelligent but reacts to stimuli and can be controlled. Apparently can't squeeze through cracks in closed doors and doesn't have a climbing speed, so that would be a good choice.

Otyugh play a similar role and are a good choice for corpses, sewage, and refuse. They are dumb but smart enough for basic communication (they are telegraphic). Can be trained/controlled by feeding them.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Some others to consider:

Ochre Jellies. Not sure if they would eat carrion, I would guess they would, though they prefer fresher meat. Problem is keeping them contained and the danger they present to those that try to control them. I don't think they would be that controllable.

If you also want to get rid of armor and weapons, you may want a gray ooze or rust monster. Not sure you could have them cohabitate with another creature, maybe you have pens and you move in a gelatinous cube or otyugh and then shoo it out and let the rust monster / grey ooze in to take care of the metal.

Black puddings would be the most effective as they take care of flesh, bones, metal, wood, everything. But like ochre jellies, they would be difficult to contain and control.

That_DM_Lady

First Post
How does one transport a gelatinous cube? In case they ask how the cultists got it to a manor. I like the simplicity of having them open the door and there is just a big jelly in their face. :eek:

But otyugh might be better from a story perspective since they are easier to transport.

You don't transport it. You create a pit and drop the cube in. Then it just sits there.

And this is the wrong subforum for this conversation. You should post in "Dungeon and Dragons" or "General Role-playing".

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Fun suggestion: a lazy troll. He might be upset that his source of food is gone... but the PCs may placate him by feeding him the dead cultists :) .

Welcome to EN world!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases