D&D 5E Best multi-class options for Gnomes

Did you read the opening post about ranged damage?

To the thread: gnomes have always high int, something to embrace I think. So you should definitely get knowledge skills. The nature cleric ranger sounds like a fun character. I guess you could go a different route and use int for ranged attacks. You could easily be a wizard for ranged damage attacks. Fire bolt is a good cantrip dealing about ad much damage as a shortbow (slightly less until level 5). The advantage is that you don't have to raise your wizard levels to have it scale. You can now focus on healing.
A good combination would arise from mixing in life cleric as a rock gnome.

I use standard array for an example character:

13 Str
8 dex
15+1 con
12+2 int
14 wis
10 cha

You can use heavy armor, deal some damage at range, hold concentration on bless easily (target yourself) and heal well enough.
With chain armor and a shield you are at AC 18. With a shield spell you go up to 23. Toll the dead as cleric spell increases your damage even more at closer range and against a saving throw.
If you mix then chose abjuration as your wizard school, you will be able to prevent damage to your allies before it even happens.
My aim would be wizard 6 and raise cleric as needed. I'd probably try to maximze ability increases over anything else.

Last edited:

Phithis

Villager
Did you read the opening post about ranged damage?

To the thread: gnomes have always high int, something to embrace I think. So you should definitely get knowledge skills. The nature cleric ranger sounds like a fun character. I guess you could go a different route and use int for ranged attacks. You could easily be a wizard for ranged damage attacks. Fire bolt is a good cantrip dealing about ad much damage as a shortbow (slightly less until level 5). The advantage is that you don't have to raise your wizard levels to have it scale. You can now focus on healing.
A good combination would arise from mixing in life cleric as a rock gnome.

I use standard array for an example character:

13 Str
8 dex
15+1 con
12+2 int
14 wis
10 cha

You can use heavy armor, deal some damage at range, hold concentration on bless easily (target yourself) and heal well enough.
With chain armor and a shield you are at AC 18. With a shield spell you go up to 23. Toll the dead as cleric spell increases your damage even more at closer range and against a saving throw.
If you mix then chose abjuration as your wizard school, you will be able to prevent damage to your allies before it even happens.
My aim would be wizard 6 and raise cleric as needed. I'd probably try to maximze ability increases over anything else.
I ended up going wizard/cleric in the end. So far he's Wizard 1/Cleric (Grave) 2and is doing great! Grave maximizes my healing as long as I wait for people to fall unconscious. Also, stabilizing at range is awesome. Wizard also gives me a familiar to run touch healing to whomever needs it.

I ended up going wizard/cleric in the end. So far he's Wizard 1/Cleric (Grave) 2and is doing great! Grave maximizes my healing as long as I wait for people to fall unconscious. Also, stabilizing at range is awesome. Wizard also gives me a familiar to run touch healing to whomever needs it.

Hey, I'm glad that I was able to help. I hope I hear more about that character soon. Grave cleric was not on my screen so I just wet for the lazy life cleric.

Remove ads