• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best name for an anomalous fighter-mage core class

What's the best name for an anomalous fighter-mage core class?

• Mage knight.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Magic warrior.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mystic knight.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Fighting magic-user.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Arcane warrior.

Votes: 36 52.9%

Gez

First Post
Re: Only One Name comes to Mind!

Deadguy said:
Strange, but for a long time I have always called the Fighting Mage by one name: Warlock! I am not sure why: the only connection I can think of is the very old RPG 'Dragon Warriors' (an excellent simple system, btw), which added just such a class, with that name, in Book 6.

I think I do still like the name, so I will go with it and suggest it, JD:

WARLOCK

Warlock ? Book 6 ? Hey !

Was this RPG in 6 books, with knight and barbarian in book 1, cleric and mage in book 2, and adventure in book 3, the assassin in book 4, the elementalist in book 5 and the warlock in book 6 ? In the adventures, you fought the three shards of an elven crystal (in a forest, an island, and another plane with Fenris making you run away), and then prevent the evil god Balor from reawakening ?

If that's it, I just found the original name of my first RPG ever: "Terres de Légendes", translation of an american game, published in the same collection as these gamebooks (you know, the "Steve Jackson & Yan Livingstone present: Deathtrap Dungeon"-style books).

If we're indeed talking of the same thing, yes, it was very good for beginners. The warlock was renamed "seigneur de guerre" (warlord), however. And boy they were munchkins ! They had a sort of ray spell that lowered the magic defense of the creature it hits. Combined with the Banishment spell that was resisted with magic defense and that, if successful, permanently removed a creature from the world, never to be brought back again, the warlock of the party was confident he could even go on killing Fenris.

madriel

First Post
Gez said:
What were the names in Arena and Daggerfall (if you don't know these games, you deserve to be hanged by the feet and lapidated to death with rotten fruits)?

Um, I've heard of them, but never played them. Does that mean I'm to be hung upside down and pelted to death with rotten fruits? ;)

Deadguy

First Post
Re: Re: Only One Name comes to Mind!

Gez said:
Warlock ? Book 6 ? Hey !

Was this RPG in 6 books, with knight and barbarian in book 1, cleric and mage in book 2, and adventure in book 3, the assassin in book 4, the elementalist in book 5 and the warlock in book 6 ? In the adventures, you fought the three shards of an elven crystal (in a forest, an island, and another plane with Fenris making you run away), and then prevent the evil god Balor from reawakening ?

If that's it, I just found the original name of my first RPG ever: "Terres de Légendes", translation of an american game, published in the same collection as these gamebooks (you know, the "Steve Jackson & Yan Livingstone present: Deathtrap Dungeon"-style books).

If we're indeed talking of the same thing, yes, it was very good for beginners. The warlock was renamed "seigneur de guerre" (warlord), however. And boy they were munchkins ! They had a sort of ray spell that lowered the magic defense of the creature it hits. Combined with the Banishment spell that was resisted with magic defense and that, if successful, permanently removed a creature from the world, never to be brought back again, the warlock of the party was confident he could even go on killing Fenris. [/B]

We're talking of the same game here, Gez! In fact I was still playing it until a few months ago (or rather a merged variant, using Dragon Warriors rules and setting with Pendragon's campaign approach - great fun!). And yes, you have the Book sequencing right, though the authors were Dave Morris and Oliver Johnson.

As for the Warlock, I always felt that he was too powerful. His magic might be shortlived, but it didn't matter as he would crush anything that got in his way! The specific spell you refer to, Soulbane was fifth level and the ultimate Anti-Sorcerer spell, as it (i) was resisted using Evasion, which Sorcerers are crap at, and (ii) it reduced both Magical Attack and Magical Defence, so it made the Sorcerer completely ineffectual when trying to dish out some magic in return. The other spell you paired it up with is Annihilate, a sixth level spell which could destroy anyone up to 8th rank! For those who don't know the game, 8th rank would in D&D3e terms be about, say, 15th level, and the effect is utter annihilation, no possibility of ever being returned to life! Yep, that was a depressing combo, and showed that it hadn't been properly tested.

Still, I am glad that someone else out there that knows this nifty, simple game! And its game world was one that was well worth ripping off and developing, as my friend running the "Pendragon Warriors" did.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Thanks for the confirmation, Deadguy !

So it's Dragon Warrior. Cool. Now I can talk about this game on english-speaking forums as well !

Madriel, if you haven't played them, but know them nonetheless, your punishment is softer. You must buy them immediately or be pelted into unconsciousness with rotten fruits. You are spared the hanging.

Metheus

First Post
Names

How about Combat Mage, or Spell Reaver, or Knight of the Sparlie Spells, or Mage that Packs a Punch, or Citizen Arcane, A$$-Whoopin' Wizahd, Killer with a Sensitive Side, Sorcerizing Fighter-type-like dude, or -insert name- Bringer of the Lights and the Hurting and the Glaiven

Remove ads