• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best name for an anomalous fighter-mage core class

What's the best name for an anomalous fighter-mage core class?

• Mage knight.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Magic warrior.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mystic knight.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Fighting magic-user.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Arcane warrior.

Votes: 36 52.9%

Carnifex

First Post
I'd go with arcane warrior - it sounds along the same lines as psychic warrior after all - and it seems the least objectional of the names listed there. Functional and descriptively to the point.

Not that I think there's a need for such a class anyway...

Tsyr

Explorer
It wasn't in the same sentance :)

I'm not knocking you, btw. I'm just cynical. Or something like that.

To be honest... It's just not a topic I've given a lot of thought. Believe it or not, I have a couple classes (Made specific for my setting) that don't even have names right now... they have the unimaginative names of "Armour Pilot" and "Mage". I tend to be very bad at thinking up creative names, so as a rule I don't even try :)

Of the ones you have posted, I do like Arcane Warrior best. I'm one of those people who tends to make things overly complex though, so if I were going to use it, I would probably call it "Warrior of the Arcane"... though, in retrospect, that sounds more like a prestige class...

*shrugs*

LostSoul

Adventurer
I liked "Mystic Knight". Probably because it sounds like an in-game name rather than something you'd see in a rulebook. Like Ranger compared to Fighter.

UnDfind

First Post
Awww c'mon guys! The Fighting Magic-User! That says it all! Yeah sure the other names are cooler, but who can doubt exactly what it is you do when you say "I'm a Fighting Magic-User."

That one's got my vote all the way....Well either that or the Spell-Sword (I always liked that name)

Gez

First Post
What were the names in Arena and Daggerfall (if you don't know these games, you deserve to be hanged by the feet and lapidated to death with rotten fruits)?

Battlemage -- fighter/mage, rather fighter
Spellsword -- fighter/mage, rather mage
Nightblade -- fighter/mage, with a bit of rogue

I voted Fighter Magic-User, since it was what I perceived as the "other" option. Arcane Warrior could fit (and this would mirror the Psychic Warrior), however.

Some other easily made:
Bladecaster (just to get a bit more confused between bladesinger, spellsword, spelldancer, and other similar names), War Wizard, Combat Mage, Mage-Knight (this is the name of a miniature game, by the way)...

If you remove the arcane/divine restriction: paladin: bold warrior with mystical powers.

Deadguy

First Post
Only One Name comes to Mind!

Strange, but for a long time I have always called the Fighting Mage by one name: Warlock! I am not sure why: the only connection I can think of is the very old RPG 'Dragon Warriors' (an excellent simple system, btw), which added just such a class, with that name, in Book 6.

I think I do still like the name, so I will go with it and suggest it, JD:

WARLOCK

Remove ads