• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best non-minitaures based fantasy RPG

Aus_Snow

First Post
What kind of fantasy setting(s) / style(s) did you have in mind?

Personally, I think most games are better suited to some settings/styles than others. Maybe all games, despite some claims to the contrary you will see here and there.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
What kind of fantasy setting(s) / style(s) did you have in mind?

Personally, I think most games are better suited to some settings/styles than others. Maybe all games, despite some claims to the contrary you will see here and there.

I was aiming for the traditional 'DnD' style fantasy, ie Elves, Orcs etc

I love some of the suggestions on here, Exalted and Talislanta are both great games, but a little far out of what I was wanting.

How well does pathfinder work without mini's? how are things like AoO dealt with?

Thanks for the replies

Aus_Snow

First Post
If you're feeling adventurous, or perhaps if you already have some experience with similar(-ish) games...

Legends of Anglerre

It's designed from the ground up to be minis-free, among other things. Really is worth a look, if you're open to games like FATE (which is, anyway, kind of halfway between traditional and "indie") or in fact already comfortable with such.

Has everything in it - magic, bestiary, larger-scale warfare; the lot. Covers the majority of basic D&D-style fantasy stuff, straight away, and guides you somewhat, should you want to add in your own conversions, and/or other things.

Might even appeal to White Wolf players, if they want to try a game that actually does some of what WoD talks about. In terms of mechanics, I mean.

Nagol

Unimportant
There's tons; what sort of fantsy game do you want? I'm a huge fan of many.

Here's a few

In print
Ars Magica
Pendragon
Runequest
Desolation (I think its still in print)
Fantasy Hero

Out of print
BECMI / AD&D Xe
Lace and Steel
Runequest 2e
Palladium
MERP

karlindel

First Post
Most fantasy rpgs can be run without miniatures, it would be helpful to have a better idea of the style of fantasy rpg you want. Rules-light or rules-heavy, high or low magic, sword and sorcery or modern fantasy, what kind of magic system is preferred, and do you prefer single or multiple magic systems? Also, do you prefer a system that you can learn and then use for other types of games, or a system linked to the world setting?

Given that the players are already familliar with White Wolf, I would recommend using a White Wolf system. Mage the Sorceror's Crusade would work. Alternately, the system for Mage the Awakening could be modified to accommodate a medieval fantasy rather than modern fantasy.

Generic systems such as HERO, GURPS, and Savage Worlds are good if you want to be able to use the system for other games later. Also, if the players learn them, there will be a wider range of other games they can play (or run if they GM) later on. Savage Worlds is the simplest of these three systems and has the easiest entry point ($10 Explorer's Edition for the basic rules), and has a lot of ongoing support for a variety of genres, as well as numerous settings and plot point campaigns that can be used.

Legends of Anglerre uses at its core the FATE system, so using it opens up options for other types of games later. The FATE system is one of the more narratively oriented systems, which can be a benefit or a drawback depending on how you like that playstyle.

Runequest is a nice and relatively simple fantasy system. It uses the Basic Roleplaying System at its core, and percentile dice rolls for most of play.

Pathfinder can be run without miniatures to the same degree that D&D 3e/3.5 could. The easiest way to deal with AoOs is to remove them.

Dausuul

Legend
If you're aiming for traditional D&D-style fantasy, and you don't mind scrounging for old books online, you may want to check out Classic D&D (the red box/blue box/cyan box/black box version from the mid-'80s). It's a cinch for new players to learn, it runs fine without minis, and it is eminently hackable, which is IMO a much underrated quality in RPGs.

Just something to consider.

masshysteria

Explorer
Savage World doesn't require minis, but like 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder, I think the assumption is that you will be using them.

Another option I haven't seen mentioned is Legend of the Five Rings. Of course, that isn't your typical fantasy setting.

You might also want to check out the Dragon Age RPG. It is pretty light and easy to get up and running. But right now you only have set 1 to purchase, with set 2 coming shortly.

A Song of Fire and Ice is another option. It is human-centric, so not D&D style fantsy, but has some neat ideas about combat and intrigue and rule for houses.

Remove ads