Best ranged weapon for a small character?

Turtlejay

First Post
Dear ENworld fellows,

My home computer is currently out of commission, meaning I have no access to the Character Builder. Often, when I have what I think is a great idea for a PC, I'll build it up and see what it looks like at 1st, 6th, 11th, etc levels. I like my current PC, but accidents happen, and I like being prepared even better.

So I have this idea to use Mouseferatu's recent Dragon column in which he gave Beastmaster Rangers a feat to be able to use their companions as a mount. The most cool thing I can think of using that feat is:

A Goblin Shaman (in reality a Ranger/Sorcerer) riding a spider. This Goblin shaman (16/16/16 in Cha, Dex, and Str) would be mostly Sorcerer powers, with Ranger powers where they helped him survive.

The trouble is, I am having trouble assembling all of this in my head without the CB to guide me. I thought about busting out pen and paper, but. . .this is more of an excercise, so it seems like a lot of work for nothing.

What I am looking for is a good way to make this character work. The obvious method is to use daggers, as two daggers will allow Twin Strike in melee and ranged, as well as functioning as an implement for Sorcerer powers. Simple and extremely weak. Hitting with both daggers on a twin strike would deal 2d4+1d6+a small amount. It would almost never get used. And who ever heard of a Ranger without twin strike?!?

I liked the idea of a sling, but they are so, so unsupported that I shy away from it. The other things to consider are thrown weapons, like the Drow Long Knife.

The best option as I see it is to *not* take Twin Strike, but to take a Ranger power that affords some mobility and allows me to be a better sorcerer. On a spider. With a spider familiar.

What does enworld think? Anyone wanna give it a shot?

Jay

Turtlejay

First Post
Well, I'm not super concerned about that, and blowgun does have sweet, sweet goblin flavour. To answer any DM fears about goblins being a monster race, I was planning on pitching it as a Halfling skinned as a goblin. Possibly not an actual goblin even, just a small, feral. . .thing, that was shamanizing for other small, feral things.

So yeah, blowgun sounds awesome, and I'm still thinking sling. Any other thoughts?

Jay

Kez Darksun

First Post
If you're reskinning a Halfling, how about Halfling Short Bow Hunter? Turns a Short Bow into having a range of 20/40 and also makes it Brutal 2.

Remove ads