• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best ranged weapon for a small character?

On Puget Sound

First Post
Ryk Tavishny (linked in my sig) is a halfling beasty ranger with pet dinosaur. He uses Talenta boomerang as his ranged weapon. I'm excited to hear there is a feat for rideable companions, and as soon as it's approved for Living Eberron I'll be adding it.

Turtlejay

First Post
Ohhh, Talenta Boomerang is also very feral shamany. A bone boomerang with shark teeth along the edge. It's one handed, too, so the other can be free to use an implement. Nice. Trantnyrs would be cool if there was a way to make them an implement. . .spears aren't an impement for an arcane class currently, are they? AIP+Trantnyr proficiency is kind of steep I guess.

Jay

Benlo

First Post
Are Javelins versatile? I don't *think* they are, but I could be wrong.

I saw mention of a blowgun, where can a PC get one of those?

Mentat55

First Post
The blowgun was published in Dragon 373, along with 4 multiclass feats and 3 powers to give you special abilities with the blowgun.

Benlo

First Post
The blowgun was published in Dragon 373, along with 4 multiclass feats and 3 powers to give you special abilities with the blowgun.
Any chance you remember what damage die they deal? I think my friend *might* have it, since I think he has the '09 Dragon Annual, but if not, I want to know if I'm missing out. :(

Mort_Q

First Post
Any chance you remember what damage die they deal? I think my friend *might* have it, since I think he has the '09 Dragon Annual, but if not, I want to know if I'm missing out. :(

It's 1d4, load free, 10/20 range, High Crit, small, with the multiclass feat.

It's 1d4, load minor, 5/10 range, small, with the standard weapon proficiency feat.

Seems a little underwhelming to me considering the feat cost.

Benlo

First Post
It's 1d4, load free, 10/20 range, High Crit, small, with the multiclass feat.

It's 1d4, load minor, 5/10 range, small, with the standard weapon proficiency feat.

Seems a little underwhelming to me considering the feat cost.
Yeah, unless you're really wanting the assassin flavor, it seems to be a bit weak, with the exception of if your DM readily makes poison darts or something available to you, or subterfuge is required.

Mort_Q

First Post
Yah... it might be fun with the Poisoner multiclass feat... but only the Bard can take more than one of those.

Remove ads