Best RL Pantheon?

GreyLord

Legend
My experience with RL pantheons is that none of them ever granted me divine spells. 0/5, would not buy again.

You didn't sacrifice the right animals at the right time periods. Asking for things without using the correct rituals normally angers...well...almost the entire pantheon.

At this point the chances of them ever granting you any spells is probably around zero. Best not to anger them anymore, they are known to do terrible things to individuals they think have offended them.

:eek::angel:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Greek/Roman and Norse are my favorites. I like Egyptian mythology, too, but the stories are weirder and harder to relate to than Greek and Norse myths (granted, lots of those myths are weird and messed up too).

Campaigns that are on my bucket list to run include:
  • a post-Ragnarök Norse pantheon
  • a "fourth-turning" Greek pantheon; where Zeus, Poseidon and Hades have been cast into Tartarus and Athena, Aphrodite and Persephone have taken their thrones

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The PHB includes several Pantheons from real life. Celt, Egyptian, Greek, Viking.

Older D&D books included some others.

So what ones do you like the best?

For purposes of this thread please only consider ones from extinct/ancient cultures.

From the PHB I rate them in this order.

1. Egypt
2. Greek
3. Viking
4 Celtic.

One can also use the Roman names for the Greek pantheon as well.

Other Pantheons off the top of my head.

Aztec/Inca/Maya
Assyrian/Sumerian
Late Roman (Sol Invictus, Mithras etc)

And remember only extinct/ancient pantheons please just to avoid arguements.
My favorites are

1) Egyptian
2) Norse
3) Greek

Remove ads