Best RL Pantheon?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
The PHB includes several Pantheons from real life. Celt, Egyptian, Greek, Viking.

And remember only extinct/ancient pantheons please just to avoid arguements.
Why does everyone forget that the Norse pantheon (mostly Thor and Odin) are still worshipped in Iceland? (Not by a whole lot of people, but not extinct, either.)

That said, my favorite is... you guessed it, the Norse Pantheon!

Zardnaar

Legend
Why does everyone forget that the Norse pantheon (mostly Thor and Odin) are still worshipped in Iceland? (Not by a whole lot of people, but not extinct, either.)

It's because they're revivals and they've essentially invented the modern form.

D&D is fairly safe using them.

There's also revivals of Roman and other ancient religions as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Set it in an American high school, and it’s a winner. Parker Lewis Can’t Lose approaches that, at times.
On second thought...not an American HS, an American ”party” state college!

Kube’s “Eat now?” line becomes Thor’s “Drink now?” as he looks for various frat parties.

Steiner has a scholarship in the physics department...where he fits in with the other “dwarves”. Mikey jams on the quad. Lewis goes poli-sci.

Lemmer becomes more Loki-ish.

The whole tale of how Utgar-Loki outwitted Thor, Loki and Thialfi with the illusion cloaked feats could make for a hell of a frat party/Spring Break weekend or similar school celebration tale.

"I am the giant Skrymir" (1902) by Elmer Boyd Smith.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Iceland is barely on the radar of most Americans. Bjork and Reykjavik if you’re lucky.

Remove ads