D&D 5E Best Rogue subclass for 12th level Ranger 3rd level Rogue

ECMO3

Hero
I am playing a Ranger who multiclassed to Rogue.

12th level Fey Wanderer, 2nd level Rogue current stats S8(21 with girdle of giant strength),D16,C12,I10,W20,Ch14. AC 17 in a magic breastplate, 88hps. She has shadow touched feat with invisibility and cause fear and telepathic feat with detect thoughts. The fighting style is druid warrior with druidcraft and guidance.

This is an odd party, the rest of the party is a single class Swashbuckler, a multiclass swashbuckler-bard, a sorcerer and a wizard.

We don't really have a good front liner. My Ranger uses a lot of spells and beguiling twist but finds herself on the front lines often because no one else is. She hits hard with favored foe, SA and dreadful strikes and has decent but not great survivability.

Ranger does not have much after 12th level, so I am going Rogue now ..... I am wondering what would be the best Rogue subclass. With the Charisma swashbuckler would be obvious, but we don't need a third swashbuckler I don't think. I am thinking:

1. Soul Knife: Skill check bonuses, the rest does not do much for me. I already have telepathy, my weapons are better than the psychic blade and my bonus is usually tied up. 1d6 to add on top of guidance and the screaming high skills I already have would be good though. I have never played a soul knife

2. Assassin: the party has killer stealth with pass without trace and no heavies. My character has a +13 stealth and both the other Rogues are even higher. We have never failed a group stealth roll. We pretty much surprise everyone unless they can't be surprised because of the situation. Dreadful strikes, SA and favored foe mean a bunch of dice to roll on a crit. Downside is assassinate would change my "default" first turn. Most combats, the first turn I do battlefield control with either cause fear or summon fey (with beguiling twist). This helps tie up a few enemies and keep them off of us for a couple rounds.

3. Arcane Trickster: My intelligence sucks, but I get a 4th level spell slot to upcast cause fear. Shield and a couple cantrips would be helpful too. I could get booming blade, which means I would give up extra attack to use it, but probably do similar damage considering SA, dreadful strikes and favored foe usually only land once a turn anyway. Also this would help by penalizing enemies for following me if I disengage.

4. Scout: I have 9 proficiencies but oddly enough, I do not have survival or nature and neither does anyone else. Getting an instant +15/+10 on these would be nice. Skirmisher would probably not be used much considering beguiling twist is tying up my reaction a lot.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you don't have a tank, why would you multiclass into rogue?

Scout would normally be "redundant", but given that you don't have those skills (this IS an unusual party!), it seems like a good choice... BUT you seem to have managed without it so far! And it does little for your survivability - the level 5 rogue power will, but that's not dependent on subclass...

I'm leading either arcane trickster, or try to get the GM to refit your character and take levels of barbarian instead :D

Also, how do you have a 5th level slot?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I would look at Arcane Trickster seriously. If you are the only front-liner, a flyby familiar gives you the ability to have Sneak Attack predictably. Mage Hand gives you lots of versatility. Low Intelligence isn't really a liability, since you are not attacking with it.

Thematically Scout works really well.

ECMO3

Hero
If you don't have a tank, why would you multiclass into rogue?

Scout would normally be "redundant", but given that you don't have those skills (this IS an unusual party!), it seems like a good choice... BUT you seem to have managed without it so far! And it does little for your survivability - the level 5 rogue power will, but that's not dependent on subclass...

I'm leading either arcane trickster, or try to get the GM to refit your character and take levels of barbarian instead :D

Also, how do you have a 5th level slot?
Going Rogue does as much as I could do out of more Ranger. The Ranger does not get much after 12th level, for example the 14th level feature Vanish is like one third of cunning action which you can get with 2 levels of Rogue. I suppose I could have gone with a fighter or cleric, but this late in the game I am not getting a whole lot more there either.

The party kicks butt. I will admit it is unique but it is also killer fun and a blast to play. We use a lot of fear and charm spells (which we turn into fear). That has a really good control mechanic, because aside from the disadvantage they can't get closer, which means unless they have missiles or other ranged attacks, they can't attack at all. That lets us gang up on the ones that are not frightened. It just goes to show you in 5E you really can play with just about any party.

I meant a 4th level slot, typo. if I go AT I use the multiclass spell tables and at 12/3 I would be a 7th level caster which would give me a 4th level slot in addition to what I have now. I hit the wrong key.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
I would look at Arcane Trickster seriously. If you are the only front-liner, a flyby familiar gives you the ability to have Sneak Attack predictably. Mage Hand gives you lots of versatility. Low Intelligence isn't really a liability, since you are not attacking with it.

Thematically Scout works really well.
Thanks. I think it will be AT. I think shield is going to be my non-enchantment/illusion though. I have SA pretty reliably already with Fey Spirit and nature's veil. The wizard has a familiar that can help too.

I think I would go scout. Just because it very well fits the theme and gives you two great expertise skills (instant +10 bonus on both checks at that level).

I think another swashbuckler would also fit. I mean you traveled so long woth the single class swashbuckler, It might be thematic to pick something up on the way. Also it is a useful subclass.

Arcane trickster in your case is bland. Yes, you can use shield, but it is not necessary. When you are level 5 you will have another very useful reaction. So probably you won't use it a lot.

NotAYakk

Legend
Arcane trickster in your case is bland. Yes, you can use shield, but it is not necessary. When you are level 5 you will have another very useful reaction. So probably you won't use it a lot.
Shield and Uncanny Dodge work well together.

If you can nullify a hit and afford the slots, you Shield. If you get hit and can't, you Dodge and take half damage.

It is true in a multi-attack situation you might end up Dodging prematurely.

Shield and Uncanny Dodge work well together.

If you can nullify a hit and afford the slots, you Shield. If you get hit and can't, you Dodge and take half damage.

It is true in a multi-attack situation you might end up Dodging prematurely.
Of course, but it still stresses the reaction. Especially since the OP already mentioned their reaction is already used when discussing scout.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you had no swashbuckler already, I would have said that. Arcane Trickster is good for keeping enemies occupied while you whomp on their friends. Assassin sounds like it will fit into this group, if you all adjust your Plan A to give your character a Surprise Round.

One nice thing about Arcane Trickster for a high level multiclass is that you will continue to unlock new spells or new spell slots every other level or so, whereas the other Rogue subclasses you will basically get their suite of level 3 abilities and never get anything else from them because Rogue 9 is unreachable. I don't think that makes the AT much stronger on balance for what you're doing, but it makes for a more satisfying leveling experience, and I suspect dissatsisfaction with leveling is part of why you got off the Ranger train.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases