• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPG products of 2006 (d20, non-d20, accessories and aids)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
There's already a list in general for Best (and Worst) WotC D&D products, but what do you think the best RPG products produced in 2006 were? Feel free to include d20 Fantasy and D&D too.

In no particular order (I guess five is the default standard from threads like this in years past):

1. Campaign Cartographer 3/Dungeon Designer 3 from Profantasy Software. I've been a longtime fan of CC2, but CC3 really raised the bar in terms of the quality of maps you can make, the artistic quality of the symbol sets, and the ease of use.

2. Thrilling Tales Omnibus from Adamant Entertainment. While most of this was material previously released, the new material was great and the layout was superb (especially the weapons and vehicle sections with photo illustrations from the time period). Definitely the definitive d20 pulp resource.

3. Dark*Matter d20 Modern edition from Wizards of the Coast. Despite the fact they used the wrong nonlethal damage rules, this was still a beautiful book, and it was great to see one of the greatest campaign settings back in print.

4. Damnation Decade from Green Ronin for d20 Modern (with a True20 appendix). Rob Toth didn't forget a single detail from the decade that brought us Soylent Green, The Exorcist and Rollerball.

5. Blood and Time from RPGObjects. The definitive source for time travel with d20 Modern/Future/Past. Worth the price of admission for the equipment lists by time period alone.

I don't think five is going to be enough. Continuing this, still in no particular order:

6. Critical Locations for d20 Modern from Wizards of the Coast. Beautiful, functional maps by Christopher West and d20 rules for bowling. Need I say more?

7. Tales of the Caliphate Nights for True20 from Paradigm Concepts. My favorite of all the excellent True20 settings out there.

I'm sure there are more out there I'm going to kick myself later for forgetting to mention. All in all, it was a great year for quality RPG products, and I look forward to seeing what 2007 has in store!

Gothmog

First Post
Deadlands: Reloaded- one of the best settings of all time is back in print using some of the best RPG rules I've ever used. Rippers for Savae Worlds was really good too- Victorian era horror with some odd themes of rippertech added in. Top notch stuff. I can't wait for the Soloman Kane and Pirates of the Spanish Main books for Savage Worlds as well.

Almost anything WHFRP2 released. Apart from the typos that tend to plague all RPG books, Tome of Corruption was a standout volume on Chaos. The Bretonnia book was great, as was the Border Princes book. The WHFRP2 books have redefined high production values and interesting ideas for me.

Hollow Earth Expedition was a great book- outstanding pulp background and world info, although I'm more likely to use it with Savage Worlds. I'm really looking forward to the supplment books for it.

The Edge of Midnight- great setting book combining noir and the supernatural, with some strong Dark City movie themes. Very weird and atmospheric, but again, I'd use Savage Worlds rules rather than the rules it came with.

The products for the Midnight campaign setting continue to be some of the best setting releases too. Midnight hooked me from day one, and it hasn't let up since- truly a great setting.

Tales of the Caliphate Nights for True 20 was a great book as well, but then again, I've never been disappointed with a Paradigm Concepts release. I just wish they would do more with Arcanis.

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, Deadlands: Reloaded is probably the best one from last year (or is it from 2005 already? :)).

Bye
Thanee

DMH

First Post
GURPS Biotech for the 4th edition. GURPS material is generally unequalled by other rpg books and this is no exception.

MS: Silk Road and Displaced lead the pack of d20 for world building. Dire Press' Lineage of Earth leads for racial concepts. And Template Trove III leads for monster based products.

Thanee

First Post
GURPS 4th, I knew there was something I wanted to take a look at. :)

Only got, I think it is 3rd edition.

Bye
Thanee

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Second Sight for the new World of Darkness. Along with the core rules, it's all I need to run just about any game I would want to. As an added bonus, it contains the best discussion and mechanics ideas for creating and using insane-diety-worshipping cultists I've ever read.

Remove ads