• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPGA adventures?

Which RPGA LFR adventures did you like the best?

• AGLA 1-1 (Lost Temple of the Fey Gods)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • AKAN 1-1 (Rotting Ruin of Galain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BALD 1-1 (Flames of Initiation)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • CORE 1-1 (Inheritance)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • CORE 1-2 (Radiant Vessel of Thesk)

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • CORE 1-3 (Sense of Wonder)

• CORM 1-1 (Black Knight of Arabel)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • DALE 1-1 (The Prospect)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • DRAG 1-1 (Many Hands Make Light Work)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • EAST 1-1 (These Hallowed Halls)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • IMPI 1-1 (Alone)

• LURU 1-1 (Slivers of Eaerlaan)

• MOON 1-1 (Nature's Wrath)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • TYMA 1-1 (Elder Wisdom)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • SPEC 1-1 (Shades of the Zhentarim

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • WATE 1-1 (Heirloom)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Other - Please post and specify

Dedekind

Explorer
I've started running some RPGA adventures for my group and I am curious which ones people think are the best. Picked from a thread from the WotC boards, which of these Level 1-4 adventures did you like a lot? If Other, please specify.

Please respond if you played or DM'd it. This list is almost comprehensive as of original posting but is not comprehensive right now. The prior votes are too valuable to throw away, so I started a new poll for adventures for the rest of 2009. Go vote for those adventures here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/268961-best-rpga-adventures-part-ii.html

Thanks!

Dedekind

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
You are missing EAST 1-4 from your list :) It is combat light, but an enjoyable story if you have some roleplayers in your group.

exile

First Post
I would echo Festivus' comment that EAST 1-4 has some excellent RP opportunities- especially if your party includes a dwarven cleric of Sune (as my own did).

I have played most of these modules and enjoyed most of those. AGLA 1-1 was probably my favorite. I liked BALD 1-1 and MOON 1-1 quite a lot too. Both are written a lot like MMORPG missions, but were still fun to play. I think the fights in BALD 1-1 were a bit tougher. CORM 1-1 was also very good.

Early on, I disliked EAST 1-1 and DRAG 1-1, but both have started to grow on me as I have replayed them.

WATE 1-1 remains my least favorite, due mostly to the extended skill challenge that takes up most of the adventure.

Chad

darjr

I crit!
egads, I've played and run so many its kinda a blur.

The 'Radiant Vessel' is cool because of the funeral, you can really play deep rp and get a lot out of it. And I really had a lot of fun with the last encounter, the combo of a SC and combat give you a chance to really mix things up. I had players doing totally reckless and dangerous things in combat to solve that SC to their characters.

The Zentarum is a monster RPGA adventure. The one time I ran it it took 8 hours. Whats cool is it is part of a set that you can run to unlock a special adventure down the road. Check out the rewards card for the card that talks about it. Oh and this was neat the way it allows the PC's to really mix with different factions of FR.

I like many hands because of the classic combat in it and, again, lots of RP possiblities.

Actually I like quite a few of them.

Note that some are all combat like Rotting Ruin, but the PC's I ran through it really didn't follow the script and threw things for a neat loop. The situation setup in the adventure allowed for a lot of fun, even if it wasn't strictly the adventure as written or planned.

Dedekind

Explorer
You are missing EAST 1-4 from your list :) It is combat light, but an enjoyable story if you have some roleplayers in your group.

Oops, good call. I don't quite get the naming/numbering convention and just assumed "-4" was one of the higher level adventures. It does look interesting...

Dedekind

Explorer
Note that some are all combat like Rotting Ruin, but the PC's I ran through it really didn't follow the script and threw things for a neat loop. The situation setup in the adventure allowed for a lot of fun, even if it wasn't strictly the adventure as written or planned.

I thought this one would be a lot of fun, considering the location. When I downloaded it, I thought it was so terrible, I canceled the event and sanctioned a new one to get another adventure.

Just ran CORM 1-1 and thought it was really cool. My party decided to chase Dark Skull and it ended up being a lot of fun. Of course, it was a primal heavy party, and that fit pretty well into the skill challenge.

amysrevenge

First Post
I find that the adventures with the best skill challenges were AGLA1-1, CORE1-2, and DRAG1-1. Each of these has a fun skill challenge with opportunity to use creativity and have a laugh. I can see how they would be death in the wrong group though.

darjr

I crit!
At the end of Rotting Ruin the PC's spared the big bad guy and ended up having to run the gauntlet of his former subjects. He treated them so badly that they each wanted a piece of him.

If you squint at the RPGA adventures you'll see there really is a lot setup to riff off of. It's almost as if the authors are begging me to use it as a general guideline and wing everything. Maybe it's just me.

The RPGA adventures are a really great resource.

arscott

First Post
Alright, here are my impressions of the adventures I've run and/or played:

My impressions:

ALGA1-1: Run, not played
[Sblock]Wasn't impressed. This is one of those adventures that has a long "Adventure Background" section for the GM to read that describes the cause of the challenge that the PCs now face, but never actually relays that information to the players. Throw in annoying disney-style fey and pointless digressions into obscure realmslore, and you've got a big stinker of an adventure.[/sblock]
Bald1-1: Run and played
[sblock]Decent. A nice feature of this one is that you can choose the order in which you progress through the various encounters. Decent skill challenge. One of the combats is pretty grindey. Never seen a session actually get to the final encounter--we always spend too much time on the grind and the skill challenge.[/sblock]
Core 1-1: Played, not run
[sblock]This was the first LFR Adventure I played. Hard to evaluate the combat encounters because we were so unfamiliar with the game. Great roleplaying opportunities, and I felt like there were a number of different and equally valid ways to tackle the RP challenges. Also gave my very-nearly-evil character a way to be true to his nature without disrupting the adventure or annoying the party.[/sblock]
East 1-1: Played, not run
[sblock]I'll admit to sleeping through about half of this adventure for reasons totally unrelated to adventure quality. The parts I was awake for struck me as a bland but serviceable dungeon crawl.[/sblock]
TYMA 1-1: Run, not played
[sblock]"Here's an NPC. Talk to him a bit about nothing in particular. He'll be important later during the actual plot. Here's a dungeon. Go there and kill the low-level monsters for XP, cause you need to level before the plot can start." Still, the combats went fairly smooth, even with first-time players.[/sblock]
SPEC 1-1: Played, not run
[sblock]Advice: Never play an eight-hour adventure with two people who cannot stand each other, especially if you're the event coordinator. Still, every encounter in this module was lots of fun--great use of terrain, monsters designed specifically with terrain features in mind, and more. Save this adventure for later, especially if you've got people on the Zhentarim infiltration quest.[/sblock]
WATE 1-1: Run and played
[sblock]Our local game club has events every two or three months. We've played this adventure at every event since LFR started--It's that good. The module begins with an investigative skill challenge that should be a model for all skill challenges--provides a great structure for beginning DMs to depend on and experienced DMs to expand on. Plus with lots of up-front social interaction and a first encounter that's a "let the players show off" cakewalk, it's a great introductory adventure. The one trouble-spot is the middle combat: It features all skirmishers, and bottles the PCs up in an awkward starting area.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads