• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPGA adventures?

Which RPGA LFR adventures did you like the best?

• AGLA 1-1 (Lost Temple of the Fey Gods)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • AKAN 1-1 (Rotting Ruin of Galain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BALD 1-1 (Flames of Initiation)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • CORE 1-1 (Inheritance)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • CORE 1-2 (Radiant Vessel of Thesk)

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • CORE 1-3 (Sense of Wonder)

• CORM 1-1 (Black Knight of Arabel)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • DALE 1-1 (The Prospect)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • DRAG 1-1 (Many Hands Make Light Work)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • EAST 1-1 (These Hallowed Halls)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • IMPI 1-1 (Alone)

• LURU 1-1 (Slivers of Eaerlaan)

• MOON 1-1 (Nature's Wrath)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • TYMA 1-1 (Elder Wisdom)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • SPEC 1-1 (Shades of the Zhentarim

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • WATE 1-1 (Heirloom)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Other - Please post and specify

amysrevenge

First Post
I strongly stand by my praise for Waterdeep 1-1, though, and it's low ranking on this poll makes me question the judgment of the voters.

The problem a lot of people that I know had with the Waterdeep one was that the skill challenge, while fun, was far too long. Also, the combat encounters were seen as too dull. I don't necessarily agree - I thought it was a fine adventure.

Personally I only chose my three favourites for the poll, not all of the ones I consider good.

Dedekind

Explorer
Personally I only chose my three favourites for the poll, not all of the ones I consider good.

I suspect that is on target for all the votes. I will post a "least" favorite thread later tonight.

As a side note, are there any that are better/worse at high level play than low level play?

Dedekind

renau1g

First Post
Just to throw this in I ran Radiant Vessel of Thesk for my group based on this poll and they loved it. It's a private game, but all four players thoroughly enjoyed it. The RP at the funeral was fantastic!

MarkB

Legend
I voted for SPEC1-1 because it's a good, big monster scenario that's structured well overall - the main skill challenge in Part One can become an excellent role-playing experience if the DM has read it through properly first, without losing its 'skill-challenge-ness', and there's a combat in Part Two which, especially if played at high tier, is one of the most unusual, tactical and fun encounters I've seen in 4e.

I'd also add CORE1-6 Crystal Clear to the list. It starts by turning what, in early LFR games, was the standard encounter order on its head, it gives the players a uniquely personal stake in matters, and the subsequent encounters were all interesting and good fun to run (though the middle combat encounter can be easy or very hard depending largely upon initiative order).

Like others in this thread, I only play LFR these days, partially by choice, partially by necessity. So, taking an idea from earlier in the thread, here are my comments. (I'm including comments on adventures not in the poll, too.)

ADAP 1-1 Barrow of the Ogre King (played, not DM'd)[sblock]This is the LFR adaptation of the adventure from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. It's a serviceable adventure, especially if you play up the in-town NPCs and allow the players time to interact before shuffling them off to the dungeon.

The dungeon itself is unremarkable, except for the awful, awful goblin hexer who needs to be seriously toned down. In the final encounter with the goblin shaman, it may be unclear to the players that negotiation is (their best?) option, so keep that in mind.

Bottom line: Mediocre. May be worth running just for the extra XP / GP.[/sblock]

AGLA 1-1 Lost Temple of the Fey Gods (played, DM'd)[sblock]My patience for comedic fey is nil, so I strongly disliked this adventure. I also think the fey ants encounter is one of the least fair encounters in all of LFR, and that's saying something.

Whatever plot there is to this adventure is never made clear to the players, unless you have the mortally wounded dryad spend about half an hour explaining things to them before she conveniently expires. The final combat is not bad, but that's about all I can say in this adventure's favor.

Bottom line: Avoid.[/sblock]

AGLA 1-5 Silver Lining (played, DM'd)[sblock]Another in a long line of adventures that features the PCs helping goblins. Some players may objects to this.

The adventure itself starts with a (potentially) lengthy skill challenge, which I think is a mistake as it really slows down the momentum. Then there's a dungeon crawl part that can be somewhat fun if the players are into the exploration aspect. However, at least one combat (the phalagars) is very nasty; 1st level PCs of novice players could easily die here. Final battle is good fun, and the PCs can choose to rescue two more goblins during the combat, which livens it up.

Bottom line: Decent.[/sblock]

AKAN 1-1 Rotting Ruin of Galain (played, not DM'd)[sblock]Is there a plot to this adventure? Oh yeah, something about rescuing some lady's relative -- a very common theme in LFR. (Turns out the guy is dead, though.)

And then you fight a bunch of goblins. I hope you like fighting goblins, because they are in every combat encounter. You can help out one of them if you want. (Yes, again.)

Bottom line: Unmemorable.[/sblock]

BALD 1-1 Flames of Initiation (played, DM'd)[sblock]The party is railroaded into working for the Flaming Fists of Baldur's Gate, which is basically a puffed up mercenary guild. Yet somehow the PCs are supposed to really want to join it. Whatever.

Three disjointed fetch-quests later, including the utterly unheroic retrieval of some seashells, gets the PCs... absolutely nowhere, since the quest to join the Flaming Fists continues in later adventures.

The fight against the otyughs is another of the horribly designed, really unfair fights in LFR. A long grind, possibly lethal.

Now, the final mission to rescue a hostage from an inn is actually interesting: it's where this adventure should have started, not ended. But any opportunity to do something fun with the hostage premise is completely squandered.

Bottom line: Avoid.[/sblock]

BALD 1-4 Silent Streets and Vanished Souls (played, DM'd)[sblock]The PCs must foil some cockamamie plot by lycanthropes... I couldn't be bothered to give a crap, even when DM'ing this.

This adventure starts with two role-playing enouncters, then a long skill challenge, before any combat. Which, again, kills any momentum. I suppose if you really like RP it could be fun.

The first combat is pretty good, with enemies on multiple levels and a few pieces of terrain, but the final combat may as well take place on a featureless plane.

Oh, you're working for the Flaming Fists again, but this doesn't count towards the quest to join them. Hah, hah, sucker! (Grr. I hate that.)

Bottom line: Average.[/sblock]

Core 1-1 Inheritance (played, not DM'd)[sblock]One of the first LFR adventures I played, and so unmemorable that I couldn't tell you much about it.

Bottom line: Who knows?[/sblock]

Core 1-2 Radiant Vessel of Thesk (played, not DM'd)[sblock]One of my favorite of the early LFR adventures. The opening is a bit rough, as the PCs are dropped in the lap of a quirky NPC -- and one man's quirky is another man's "so annoying I want to throttle you". Then they're off for some RP and skill challenge, and again, it's a long time until you get to roll for initiative.

Eventually there's a little dungeon crawl leading up to the final encounter, which is awesome: the PCs are trying to save a pregnant mother who starts to give birth during the combat. So you've got a skill challenge (deliver the baby) and a fight going on at once.

Immediately preceding this encounter is a fight against an elite (or solo?). That can be a grind, and it is strongly recommended that you allow the PCs a short rest afterwards, even though the adventure seems to push them towars the final battle without a rest.

Bottom line: Very good. The final encounter makes it all worthwhile.[/sblock]

Core 1-3 Sense of Wonder (played, DM'd)[sblock]The ultimate railroad start: the PCs are summoned (teleported) to the aid of an NPC, a gnome cleric of Gond. Again, he's quirky, but if you downplay him, it's tolerable.

The PCs must journey to one of the Isles of Lantan that is conveniently about to resurface, like R'lyeh. I think the part of the adventure leading up to there is rough: a skill challenge to fix the boat of another quirky NPC, the drunken captain of the only ship willing to take on the PCs.

Once on the island, there's some fighting against constructs while traps are zapping everyone; I recommend toning down the traps. (Early LFR adventures were notorious for having traps that are far more deadly than the monsters.) The final puzzle / skill challenge is very well done, but if your players don't like puzzles, it could be a chore.

Bottom line: Very good, if you like puzzles. Average, otherwise.[/sblock]

CORM 1-1 Black Knight of Arabel (not played, DM'd)[sblock]Excellent. Moody and atmospheric. The combat encounters are way too easy as written, and one of the skill challenges is just silly ("make an Athletics check to climb up on this old lady's leaky roof, because nowhere in the entire city is there a ladder"). But the seemingly bad NPC who is actually good is a nice, if obvious, twist.

The final combat can be good as long as you give the bad guys room to maneuver. I recommend making the map 50%-100% larger.

Bottom line: Good, despite its flaws. The atmosphere sells it.

Note: I made some fairly extensive changes to this adventure, including completely redesining Dark Skull and his combat encounter. Let me know if you want the details.

Note the second: CORM 1-2, a 4th-7th level adventure, is also excellent and atmospheric. So far I've really enjoyed all the CORM adventures.[/sblock]

DALE 1-1 The Prospect (played, DM'd)[sblock]Disjointed adventure that doesn't seem to know which aspect it wants to play up: the Oriental-like Shou? The squabbling NPC brother-and-sister, one of whom is into bondage? Or the dungeon that's conveniently located mere blocks from downtown? (No, I'm not exaggerating.)

The dungeon itself is kind of fun, though again the maps are too small, especially the second one.

There's actually a right-off-the-bat combat in this adventure, which I appreciate. Unfortunately it involves some fire beetles that can be merciless killers if you're not careful. Stagger their blast attacks across multiple rounds, or they can easily drop bunched up 1st level PCs.

Bottom line: Silly plot, decent dungeon.[/sblock]

EAST 1-1 These Hallowed Halls (played, DM'd)[sblock]Nearly pure dungeon crawl, after the obligatory RP + skill challenge opening. (Oh, and this is yet another rescue the lost relative adventure. Once again, he's dead.)

In the dungeon, there's a good variety of enemies, although it might seem somewhat forced how many different enemies there are in one place. Maps need to be bigger, especially the alchemy area.

Bottom line: Enjoyable, if light on plot.[/sblock]

LURU 1-1 Slivers of Earlann (played, DM'd)[sblock]I honestly don't remember the excuse for putting the PCs in the dungeon, even after DM'ing this adventure. Suffice it to say that they fight some orcs, and then enter the dungeon and get their butts handed to them by some nasty, nasty traps. Possibly fun for players who enjoy more old-school dungeon crawling. ("I move a foot forward and make a Perception check. OK, I do it again.")

Oh, and again, the PCs better negotiate with the final creature they encounter, if they want their treasure bundles.

Bottom line: Below average, but not horrible.[/sblock]

SPEC 1-1 Shades of the Zhentarim (played, not DM'd)
Note: double-length adventure![sblock]Kind of a long slog, but I enjoyed it. Lots, and lots, and lots of fighting with just a few skill challenges to break things up. Almost no RP until the very end. I like combat, so I didn't mind, but some players might not like it.

Bottom line: Good, if you like combat.[/sblock]

TYMA 1-1 Elder Wisdom (played, not DM'd)[sblock]Failed attempt at dungeon crawl, LFR style. Too much build up beforehand, in my opinion. Some good RP opportunities can be salvaged, if you're willing to put in the work to make the dragonborn leader (whose name escapes me) and the dwarf explorer (ditto) more three dimensional.

The dungeon itself is bland and unmemorable. Traps aren't quite as lethal as usual, so that's a plus.

Bottom line: Below average, but tolerable.[/sblock]

WATE 1-1 Heirloom (played, not DM'd)[sblock]This is another one I played so long ago that I don't really remember it. I do recall that it features the other type of LFR plot: the fetch quest, A/K/A retrieve the family jewels. (Shut up, Beavis!)

Bottom line: Who knows?[/sblock]

Whew! Hope this helps.

Jhaelen

First Post
As mentioned in the companion thread: Why has noone done similar polls before?

I fully agree with amysrevenge, btw., it's incredibly complicated process from becoming an RPGA member to being finally able to download some modules. Without the helpful threads detailing it step by step it's downright impossible.

Still, once you get there, it's worth it, just for the additional resources the modules represent.

Special thanks to arscott and Joshua Randall for the detailed reports.

darjr

I crit!
Radiant vessle of Thesk.

I love that mod. The party is fantastic but the finale is absolutely wonderful.

edit: Oh, almost forgot, the playing the halfling was a huge blast as well.

renau1g

First Post
I enjoyed Thesk as well, but our RP'ing side came during the funeral. It was tons of fun. I really enjoyed Trajek so did the PC's. They actually managed to convince him to accompany them back to their temple/ base of operations (a temple of Ohgma) so that way the scribes there can record the man's many exploits...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads