Best(?) Second Level Bard Spell

Artoomis

First Post
Given that I already have Tongues, Sonic Weapon and Mirror Image, I'd like opinions on the best 2nd level Bard spell. My DM is allowing me to replace Cat's Grace because I have not used it even once in many levels.

This is an Eberron campaign, and this character is a very intellectual and charistmatic bard.

Thanks for your help. If you could, for non-core spells give me a little idea of what the spell does, please.

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
It's hard to go past Invisibility, especially if you already have Mirror Image. Then again, I'm not that familiar with the non-core spells out there.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I really like Glossolalia (XPH). It is only available to bard 2:

Basically, you utter shrieks of nonsense and jibberish when casting the spell. The spell only works against targets with INT 3 or higher.Any creature in a 60 foot cone must save on Fort save or be:

Stunned for 1 round if their INT is 20 or greater,
Dazed for 1 round if their INT is between 10-19,
Shaken for 1 round if their INT is between 3-9.

If you are facing a psionic enemy, the enemy immediately loses its psionic focus and all creatures take a -4 to concentration checks (No save allowed).

Not a great damaging spell, but against enemy casters and other notoriously low FORT save characters it can give you a round where your guys can advance without fear of enemy spellcasting to worry about. Besides, most spellcasters are going to either be Stunned or Dazed. Both of those are very good things!

Twowolves

Explorer
Definately Suggestion. Silence is good too. I was going to say Tasha's Laughter, but then I realized it was already 1st level for bards. Maybe an Extended Tasha's!

Felix

Explorer
Shatter.

Suggestion is a good spell for bards, but come higher levels, you can do that every time you fascinate someone, and I've always thought that a better tradeoff for bards since the text doesn't make it seem like it's all that noticable by anyone, and it gives you a great excuse to step into the limelight with your Perform(pole-dancing) skill.

Shatter, however, not only uses what should be the bard's mainstay, his voice, but also has a nice versatility to it. You may destroy most anything with only a Will save in your way, and that's if it's attended. Think, "Saruman, your staff is broken!" kind of cinematic cool.

Thricely, you're in Eberron. Not that I'm terribly familiar with the setting, but from what I understand crystals, or shards, or something of that sort arn't too rare. So it could come in handy.

R-man

First Post
Whirling Blade is my personal favorite 2nd level Bard Spell. Throw your slashing weapon in a 12" line attacking only enemy creatures and bypassing Friendlies making one melee attack with your weapon on each of the enemies. You may substitute your caster stat for Strength for calculating hit and damage.

Overall an effective low damage area of effect spell for Bards.

Even better with a 24 enhanced str Bard weilding a Greatsword.

That Bard BAB is useful, remember that you are one of the best Gish classes in the game.

two

First Post
The flat-out most powerful 2nd level spell you already have: Mirror Image.

Cast it in the first round of every battle and you will never die, barring massive area spell effects.

VERY powerful.

Sirea

First Post
If you want some offensive type of spell: Glitterdust (PHB) or Cloud of Bewilderment (first in MoF, then updated in PGtF, final version in SC). The former asks for a Will save, the latter a Fort save.

Remove ads