Best(?) Second Level Bard Spell

fafhrd said:
I'm fond of Grace from Spell Compendium
Swift spell, makes you glow in 60' radius, gives +2 sacred bonus to dex, an extra 10 feet of movement and makes your weapons good aligned for 1 round per level.
Though this is only useful if the bard is commonly engaged in melee or ranged combat, isn't it? (Again, the bard in our group - A Shackled City Campaign, by the way - rarely engages in melee or ranged combat.)

just__al

First Post
My bard makes extensive use of Alter Self. Mostly it's been for the natural armor goodness that comes with being a Trog. Eventually I'll explore the other forms but it's hard to pass up that THICK skin..

just__al said:
My bard makes extensive use of Alter Self. Mostly it's been for the natural armor goodness that comes with being a Trog. Eventually I'll explore the other forms but it's hard to pass up that THICK skin..

Alter Self is good. It also gives access to swim speed, which can sometimes be quite useful. (My Fighter and the Bard where the only ones able to fight effectively in the waters around the Kua-To temple - or, better said, the Fighter was more effective thanks to the bard accomponying him, while the rest of the group had to sit back and hope we wouldn't stir someting up that would be to powerful for the two of us to handle :) )

Nail

First Post
Artoomis said:
Battle Hymn which lets PCs roll a bad Will save over again. Very handy for the low Will save Barbarian who is VERy dangerous when charmed or dominated.
The spell Battle Hymn is quite limited.

You have to cast it before "the low Will save Barbarian" is forced to make a save, not after. That's a significant disadvantage. :\

And since it only lasts 1 round per level, you can't cast this well before an upcoming battle. IOW, your bard will be stuck guessing when during the battle he should use one of his precious actions to cast this spell in the hopes that his barbarian friend will be targeted by a spell that requires a Will save.

"Should I use my first round's standard action to cast this spell, or should I start up my Bard singing instead? Round 2 maybe? Gee, I hope I get it off before my barbarian is charmed...."

:(

Nail

First Post
taliesin15 said:
--surprised nobody's mentioned Cure Moderate Wounds--
I'm not.

The Cure spells are a great addition to the Bard's class list...but a lousy option for a spell known. Wands are where it's at: cheaper and less of an opportunity cost. ;)

Stormrunner

Explorer
Invisibility is reeeealy nice for a bard, because playing your bardic music is not an attack so it doesn't break the invisibility. The enemy has a hard time even finding you, much less hitting you, and meanwhile you can stroll around the battlefield boosting your friends and positioning yourself to let loose a spell or attack at just the right moment to disrupt the enemy.

Tactical Precision is good - whenever your allies flank a target they get an extra +2 attack and +1d6 damage.

Bonefiddle is nasty against spellcasters - 3d6 sonic damage per round until they make a Fort save. Plus the concept of playing someone's bones like a fiddle is just shivery-cool.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I'm a huge fan of glitterdust and suggestion. Both of them are flexible spells.

Glitterdust has its two effects, which is very nice: a great effect vs. invisible creatures, and a decent effect against noninvisibles. Your melee buddies will love you for blinding the enemies, and will adore you for revealing improved-invisibility enemies.

Suggestion has only the one effect, but boy howdy is it a great one. "We're really tough; you'd be surrender now!" "Hey, wizard, our barbarian can't wrestle worth a damn, I sure hope you don't decide to tackle him, wink wink!" "Oh, look at the cowardly blackguard, hiding behind his big armor and shield--why don't you take off that armor and fight like a man?" And that's only the combat potential.

Sure, outside of combat, fascinate can cover the need for suggestion; but during combat, suggestion rocks.

Daniel

Pielorinho said:
I'm a huge fan of glitterdust and suggestion. Both of them are flexible spells.

... and both of them mesh extremely well with Heighten Spell, allowing you to spend your higher level [spells known] on spells that do other things.

Remove ads