Best(?) Second Level Bard Spell

isoChron

First Post
felix said:
Shatter, however, not only uses what should be the bard's mainstay, his voice, but also has a nice versatility to it. You may destroy most anything with only a Will save in your way, and that's if it's attended. Think, "Saruman, your staff is broken!" kind of cinematic cool.

Shatter is actually really weak since:
Shatter creates a loud, ringing noise that breaks brittle, nonmagical objects; sunders a single solid, nonmagical object; or damages a crystalline creature.

Most items you want to shatter at your enemy are magic.

Suggestion could be used to great effect (and without the uncertain Fascinate). Even at higher levels it is a good spell.

Silence is a great spell to shut down spellcasters without a save, just move close. Near to broken in my opinion.

Glitterdust ist good vs. invisible and low level opponents.

Tongues depends on your campaign. May be very good or nearly useless.

Nail

First Post
My votes would be: Alter Self, Glitterdust, Invisibility, and Silence.

Glitterdust stands out, because of that Will save or blinded effect. :cool:

Our Bard has used Glitterdust to very good effect. Even some higher level opponents sometimes fail their save, and high level opponents that "hoped to be invisible but are now blind and perfectly visible" are really screwed. :)

For Suggestion, he usually relies on Fascinate, not on the spell.

cmanos

First Post
Sirea said:
If you want some offensive type of spell: Glitterdust (PHB) or Cloud of Bewilderment (first in MoF, then updated in PGtF, final version in SC). The former asks for a Will save, the latter a Fort save.

Hmm...take both...one for the warriors and one for the mages

Artoomis

First Post
Thanks, everyone.

I ended up going with:

Battle Hymn which lets PCs roll a bad Will save over again. Very handy for the low Will save Barbarian who is VERy dangerous when charmed or dominated. Goes along with one of the general theme of a Bard providing offensive AND defensive combat support.

However, events ended up with TWO spell choices for me. I tentatively selected Dimensional Leap - a swift action (IIRC) teleportation effect = 10' per level only.

Still not final on that one, though.

I need to look at Whirling Blade. That sounds really promising: Cha bonus is +6, so +6 to attack and damage, very nice. Enemies are not often lined up nicely, though. Or maybe Invisibility - being able to get out of a bad situation could be very valuable to my low AC, low HP bard.

Or maybe I'll just stay with Dimensional Leap. That gets me out of a bad situation fast enough (up to 70' at his current caster level - and then he can still move).

taliesin15

First Post
Agree with Invisibility & Suggestion--surprised nobody's mentioned Cure Moderate Wounds--also I think Whispering Wind is a great tactical spell for outdoor adventuring

maggot said:
I'm surprised at the lack of love for Heroism. Glitterdust is very good too.
You don't need Heroismn with Inspire Courage.

Battle Hymn should be easily replacable by the Bards Countersong ability, if IIRC. A Protection from Evil or Magic Circle against Evil on the Barbarian will also negate most dangers of domination or charms.

For bard spells, it is important to keep in mind the options granted by Bardic Music.

In addition, buying a few scrolls of good bard spells (and, with Use Magic Device, any other good spell from a other class spell list). 2 Scrolls of Battle Hymn for example will probably last for a few sessions.

The most important spells our Bard casts are often from scroll.

fafhrd

First Post
I'm fond of Grace from Spell Compendium
Swift spell, makes you glow in 60' radius, gives +2 sacred bonus to dex, an extra 10 feet of movement and makes your weapons good aligned for 1 round per level.

Remove ads