Best solo RPGs?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have been watching his (extremely expressive) videos! I don't have the space (or interest) for solo miniatures gaming, but the other stuff has been extremely educational, including the advice of not going overboard with random generator books. I'm keeping myself to one per game. (For Colostle, it's the Roll & Play Fantasy Gamemasters Kit, although I haven't needed to use it yet.)

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Because the character had been created in Mutants & Masterminds, I have a very clear idea of his capabilities, which helps guide me when asking questions and setting probabilities using Mythic. But I'm not using actual M&M rules at all, just Mythic.

The story hour is here.
Okay, that makes good sense. I’ve known for a while thst detailed charges followed by very light in-play mechanics can work very well for me. And will be checking out the story hour.

dbm

Savage!
Lone Wolf was mentioned in passing; to my mind it is the preeminent solo-rpg-book series as you have a continuing character through over 20 books.

There is a series called Fabled Lands that I haven’t played personally but sounds amazing - it’s an open world game book series.

The Fantasy Trip has a number of solo modules if you want something that features tactical combat. It’s chits-n-hexes rather than minis and terrain.

Emoshin

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
It feels like I've been seeing more solo RPGs in the past few years. Is that just me or is there a small renaissance in solo rpgs? Is it because of the pandemic, or some mechanical innovations in the rules?

Recently had fun with solo wargaming. Five Parsecs From Home (sci-fi) and Five Leagues from the Borderlands (fantasy - yet to try), both of which have some light RPG elements as you build a story around your adventures.
Honestly astonished GW haven't got into this in a serious/organised way yet (I believe they've released a couple of short solo campaigns for AoS).

One of the biggest issues with both 40K and the old WHFB was finding people to actually play against, and a huge number of people who are "into" 40K or AoS are basically left painting armies they'll never use, but it really seems like it would be totally doable to develop a solo engine for either/both, and you could de facto encourage people to buying multiple armies to "play with themselves" lol.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Lone Wolf was mentioned in passing; to my mind it is the preeminent solo-rpg-book series as you have a continuing character through over 20 books.

There is a series called Fabled Lands that I haven’t played personally but sounds amazing - it’s an open world game book series.
The world building of Lone Wolf doesn't sound like it's for me. (Also, I remember a time when there was a FF vs. Lone Wolf rivalry, and I was very much Team Fighting Fantasy.)

I will take a look at the first Fabled Lands book.

I Kickstarted a the Wolves of Langston, a solo-play 5E adventure that I was just informed is shipping soon, so that's on the list, too.

Dioltach

Legend
Has anyone played Legacy of Dragonholt? I got through the first chapter during lockdown before we returned to online gaming. It's looks gorgeous, and the text is beautifully written, but I didn't play enough to comment on the game overall.

(For a quick and easy solo dungeon crawler: Four Against Darkness.)

Remove ads