Best system for historical roleplaying?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I played GURPS prior to 3e and it does real world well and its historic sourcebooks are awesome.
I dont like Harn, but medieval with supernatural bits pretty much defines most fantasy games

5atbu

Explorer
I also vote GURPS or Mythras but a call out to Ars Magica as well.

Also look at Renaissance from Cakebread and Walton and/or Maelstrom from Arion Games.

pemerton

Legend
Real world historical with the addition of some supernatural elements. Particularly medieval or early modern Europe. Is this something Zweihander can do?
i've already been ninja'ed on RQ. The Riddle of Steel is another well-regarded game that can do this.

Less well-known but (in my view) equally viable, depending on exactly what sort of RPGing experience you want (in terms of system/"feel" - these all do the genre you've mentioned) are Prince Valiant and Burning Wheel (just ignore the elves, dwarves and orcs). The former is fairly light and a work of Greg Stafford genius; the latter is Luke Crane's magnum opus and demanding both in system and emotional respects.

Others have mentioned GURPS as a generic system. There are also somewhat "generic" narrative systems like HeroQuest revised or Maelstrom Storytelling/Story Bones that could do your genre pretty straightforwardly..

Rolemaster or HARP offer very crunchy options (again, just ignore the spell-casting classes if you need to) but if you use them for combat and don't have healing magic expect a lot of downtime for healing. (BW also can lead to this, but it has a lot of systems designed to make downtime and being injured part of the play experience, whereas in RM/HARP it's just the same sort of suckitude that it was back in AD&D.)

aramis erak

Legend
My top recommend would be Pendragon or Paladin (Tied for 1st), followed closely by RuneQuest.

Hârnmaster is playable, but not for those averse to details. Which is why I put it fourth.

Chivalry and Sorcery (3rd or later) is pretty good, too, but like Hârnmaster, can bury one in details.

GURPS, CORPS 2E, Savage Worlds, or Hero can do it well enough each, with just the core, if the GM knows how to say "No" to anachronisms, and trims availability sufficiently...

Likewise, for many story types, using Fate Core; others can be done better with Fate Accelerated.

GreyLord

Legend
I'd prefer the original Warhammer to be honest, or even 2e.

However, for brutal, absolute massive damage, and short life spans, nothing beats the Rolemaster system.

One fight and you could be missing an eye, an arm, and half your leg...if you even lived!!!

Of course, that's more the Braveheart exaggerated combat type thing, but it could be very brutal.

Rolemaster is a little complex though and can be difficult to run at times.

Other systems others suggested above are easier and run faster most likely.

aramis erak

Legend
Rolemaster is less intimidating when one realizes that about 1/2 of ChL/CaL is options, AL/ClL is only 10 pages of rules, and SpL is aroud 15 pp. of rules...

Also, modern spreadsheets really help.

Ravenbrook

Explorer
The d100-based games are probably your best bet. Besides Pendragon/Paladin, there are specific rules systems/sourcebooks for the Middle Ages: Mythic Iceland, Mythic Britain, Merrie England, Mythic Constantinople, Crusaders of the Amber Coast, and Stupor Mundi come to mind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases