Best Threequel

Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Great movie, although I wish they had reworked the ending to take place in New York, since that was a big part of what made it so good. A life-falling-apart John McClane, back in his old hometown & long-removed from being the shining hero with a happy ending in sunny Los Angeles, having to solve "Simon Says" puzzles while hungover, being repeatedly trolled by a vengeful terrorist who makes McClane crisscross the cramped confines of bustling NYC in impossible time limits, butting heads with but needing the help of one very annoyed "Hey" Zeus Carver.

The alternate ending is an interesting "what if" as well, but I don't think the movie did enough to build towards that.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
It's also the one where Scotty is telling the 80s engineers about transparent aluminum. Which, by the way, is now a real thing as well. Star Trek: right after The Simpsons when it comes to predictions lol
But that's also the comedy scene where Scotty is one minute talking to a mouse because he doesn't understand 20th century technology; and then the next minute coding in Basic. That bothered me.

aco175

Legend
I'll admit that I saw this, but not sure on if there is the best one. I did hear that this series was being remade as well.

1613763867753.png

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I love all three, but to me Fellowship of the Ring is the one that knocked it out of the park. The others are good, maybe even great, just not amazing.
For me, FOTR is to TTT as The Godfather: Part I is to The Godfather: Part II.

TTT is a bit more epic in scale. Also, the Extended Version contains a really potent scene in the Dead Marshes that adds a bit more pathos to Gollum.

But that's also the comedy scene where Scotty is one minute talking to a mouse because he doesn't understand 20th century technology; and then the next minute coding in Basic. That bothered me.

Honestly, I've seen this sort of thing multiple times in my life now.

In college, the lab upgraded from Windows 2000 to to XP with no notice (my home box ran ME). I legitimately had to ask a Computer Science professor for help navigating the Start Menu, and seconds later was working on a C++ assignment.

My kids learned computers on iPad before anything else. I had to show them how to use a trackball on a PC. Seconds later, they're building a world in Minecraft.

MarkB

Legend
Honestly, I've seen this sort of thing multiple times in my life now.

In college, the lab upgraded from Windows 2000 to to XP with no notice (my hoe box ran ME). I legitimately had to ask a Computer Science professor for help navigating the Start Menu, and seconds later was working on a C++ assignment.

My kids learned computers on iPad before anything else. I had to show them how to use a trackball on a PC. Seconds later, they're building a world in Minecraft.
I never saw it as him not understanding it, so much as having to calibrate his expectations down far enough.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
I never saw it as him not understanding it, so much as having to calibrate his expectations down far enough.
It's ridiculous. There is absolutely no reasonable way he would know how to use a programming language that nobody had used for three centuries before his birth. If you sat down with someone in the palaeolthic, would the fact that you were a systems engineer in the 21st century mean that you would be an expert at knapping flint? No. You would be worse at knapping flint than the children. Every 21st engineer would be bad at knapping flint. And every 24th century engineer would be bad at 20th century programming languages they had never practiced with.

The Godfather is a series that I always just bounce off of. But I know enough to get the analogy :)

The new scenes in the Extended Editions are a mixed bag - sometimes it throws the pacing off, sometimes it falls flat, and sometimes you can't understand why in the world they cut the scene in the first place.

For me, FOTR is to TTT as The Godfather: Part I is to The Godfather: Part II.

TTT is a bit more epic in scale. Also, the Extended Version contains a really potent scene in the Dead Marshes that adds a bit more pathos to Gollum.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's ridiculous. There is absolutely no reasonable way he would know how to use a programming language that nobody had used for three centuries before his birth. If you sat down with someone in the palaeolthic, would the fact that you were a systems engineer in the 21st century mean that you would be an expert at knapping flint? No. You would be worse at knapping flint than the children. Every 21st engineer would be bad at knapping flint. And every 24th century engineer would be bad at 20th century programming languages they had never practiced with.
Realistically, no one from the 24th century would need to know how to do syntax-based programming at all; they would give natural language directives and AIs would translate that into workable code.

Remove ads