• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best use of rituals you have seen so far?

Jarrod

First Post
Tenser's Floating Disk to get a bunch of mules across an icy crevasse in the middle of a blizzard.

Of course, the crevasse was large enough that the cleric had to climb out on a rope in order to get the distance right... and after the last mule was across he fell. But up until that point it was a really good idea.

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
Probably, but that is a really nit picky thing. If he was that anal about the rules we probably wouldn't let him DM. Now, If I started abusing it hardcore then he would apply it. But storing a few corpses I'm going to use for later purposes is hardly abusing.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It is interesting that both Keep on the Shadowfell and Thunderspire Peak have a final combat that revolves around the bad guy attempting to complete a ritual while the PCs attack.

Do you feel that the existing ritual rules support that? It seems that since even the most trivial rituals take ages to cast, the pHB rituals are designed for out-of-combat use only... which makes the central part that rituals have taken in the showcase adventures a little surprising.

Have you come across any suggestions or stuff in the core rules for handling those kind of situations?

Cheers

Ryujin

Legend
Actually, come to think of it, there were two better uses of rituals that I can remember.

The first was when we came upon a sleeping leader baddie and rather than attack him immediately, our cleric had us close the door so that he could start casting a Silence. The door was opened on the last round of casting and the leader died while waking up.

The second was when we had to get the party across a crevass. I cast a Tensers, then teleported over with the less athletic party members on the disk, which automatically followed.

GorTeX

First Post
water walking on the rogue, who then ran to retrieve the 2 pieces of a dagger on the other side of a room full of blood and demons. (thunderspire labrynith) Allowed them to avoid the combat almost entirely.

jorrit

First Post
water walking on the rogue, who then ran to retrieve the 2 pieces of a dagger on the other side of a room full of blood and demons. (thunderspire labrynith) Allowed them to avoid the combat almost entirely.

How exactly did you do that? Performing the ritual is 10 minutes and a round of combat is only 6 seconds. So if you were doing it while the combat was going on it would have taken 100 rounds of combat. So that must mean you did it outside of the encounter but then how did you know the ritual was needed unless you go in first? And if you go in how did you prevent the monsters from going after you so that you can get the time to do the ritual?

Greetings,

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads