D&D 5E Best uses for Tenser's Floating Disk

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
In 3e, my Bard tried to cast Tensers Floating Disk modified to act like an elevator. I wanted to 'scuba dive' a shipwreck and retrieve plunder, with the disk carrying the load for me. DM had me make Arcana checks for vertical movement and for working underwater. I failed the second and it poofed out when it had the weight limit of seawater "on" it.

ccs

41st lv DM
I used it in a game to trip a BBEG who had crazy bonuses when in contact with earth/stone.

The fight was not going well for us as the other players had the real life perception scores of bricks. I however tend to play utility casters who're light on the offense & not usually on the front lines if I can help it. I also pay attention to what the DM says/does (because as a DM myself I KNOW we say & do important things:)). Watching & listnening to what's going on I've figured out the trick to this encounter.

So my mage intentionally left themselves wide open to (very probable) attack, & readied an action.
This caught the others + the DM by surprise. Obviously I'm up to something.... And I can see the gears turning in the DMs head - sifting through what items & spells I have. And he's not seeing anything.... But right here, right now, seems to be a legit chance to put a serious hurt on (or even kill) my very annoying mage....
So he has the BBEG charge me. And I cast a TFD right in his path at about ankle lv.

BBEG fails a dex check trips & falls onto the disk face first, ending his turn not in contact with the stone floor. Ooh, so sad.
I then tell the party what's up with his crazy abilities.
The rest of the party proceeds to pummel him dead within 2 rounds with one of them readying their own action to grapple/pin/re-trip him if needed.

Thanks to one of the oldest most mundane spells in the game & a failed reflex save, the villain died lying 6" off the floor.

Remove ads