Best Warhammer 40k rpg

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
So in folks humble opinion does the new wrath and glory system do a better job of presenting the 40k universe in an RPG, are the older FFG books still king or is there another system that maybe with a little conversion work do a better job than either of them?

I'll caveat this by saying I'm looking at running a inquisitor style game, and the players will likely want a broad spectrum of characters (with at least one desperate to play a space marine, not sure how I'll fit that in but I'll try!)

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I really like the FFG games and the d100 system they used. I ran a few years campaign using Dark Heresy + Ascension, and Deathwatch. The group was three Astartes, an Inquisitor, and a Battle Sister.

One of the books (Ascension propably) had guidelines how to match powerlevels of the settings.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I really like the FFG games and the d100 system they used. I ran a few years campaign using Dark Heresy + Ascension, and Deathwatch. The group was three Astartes, an Inquisitor, and a Battle Sister.

Does the system deal well with the power disparity? I'm guessing the inquisitor had access to more resources to make up for his lack of combat prowess compared to the Astartes.

Blackrat

Yeah, I sneak edited while you were quoting :D. The Ascension book gives rules for ”mortals” in the same power tier as Astartes. The Inquisitor was a really powerfull psyker and the Sister was one mortal wound away from becoming a living saint.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Yeah, I sneak edited while you were quoting :D. The Ascension book gives rules for ”mortals” in the same power tier as Astartes. The Inquisitor was a really powerfull psyker and the Sister was one mortal wound away from becoming a living saint.

I like that, thank you ☺️

Blackrat

The various core books in the series has different power levels.

Dark Heresy and Only War deals with low to mid tier humans serving either the inquisition or in the Imperial Guard. And as said, the Ascension supplement gives the choise to go true heroic.

Rogue Trader is Mid to High power people exploring the unknown and offers the option for some xenos.

Deathwatch is all about Astartes.

aramis erak

Legend
So in folks humble opinion does the new wrath and glory system do a better job of presenting the 40k universe in an RPG, are the older FFG books still king or is there another system that maybe with a little conversion work do a better job than either of them?

I'll caveat this by saying I'm looking at running a inquisitor style game, and the players will likely want a broad spectrum of characters (with at least one desperate to play a space marine, not sure how I'll fit that in but I'll try!)
One can do it nicely using Traveller... I suspect the 40K setting started as GW's in-house Traveller game. Meltaguns are just PGMP's and FGMP's...

I did enjoy Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy.

I'll note that any of the Star Wars games can do it; d6 Space is WEG SW 3E sans the SW IP; Genesys is FFG SW sans the SW IP. And D&D 4 is WotC SWSE 2nd ed sans the SW IP. (I'm only halfway joking there.)

Remove ads