D&D 5E Best way to deal with greedy players and magic items in a fun game.

I like the idea of a pick system, randomly determined order reach session.

That way, you're not singling the guy out - your just implementing a new, fair, distribution system.

We keep the same order from session to session, and it just picks up from where it left off last time (like initiative order during a combat).

All items are included in the pool, and at the end of the session, we look at the next name on the list, and they pick from those items.

Players who really want an item (when its not their pick) can exchange a future pick (or picks) for that item if the person whose pick it is agrees (or can exchange something of value to the player who gets the item as normal obviously, like GP or whatever).

I did once see a bidding war for a Staff of Power that was selected by the party Fighter (the other items were scrolls and other minor stuff) between the party Warlock and Wizard. It eventually went for 5 future picks (and because it was late game, those items were pretty ace every time they came up!)

Stormonu

Legend
Back in the old 1E DMG, there were several options mentioned for splitting treasure. When it came to magic items, one of the options was that a player would have to reduce their share (splitting the money to others in the group) to lay claim on magic items. It could either be equal to a part or the full value of the magic item (in GP), or it could be done as bidding (P1: "I'll bid 100 GP for the ring; P2: "150 GP for me"; P3: "151 GP!"). Another option was that once a character acquired a magic item, they couldn't choose a second until everyone else had claimed one - or were the last one without an new item and passed on taking the item (P1: "Bob, everyone else got an item and this time around we found a wand - do you want it?" P2:"Nah, I've already got one - I'll pass on my turn this time." "P3: "Okay, that'll start the second round. I'll take the wand." P2: "Fine. But I get first crack at the next item.")

Also, sounds like you might want to speak up the next time an item comes up, and involve the whole group if you do (and the DM, if need be). Sometimes just letting others know you are interested is all it takes for others to reconsider taking an item - or perhaps swapping lesser items around to others if they're picking up something stronger.

R_J_K75

Legend
@billd91 has the right idea. Pretty sure the rest of the players feel the same as you. Id confront him immediately as a group before the next game and make him give up some of his magical items so everyone in the party has an equal share. If that doesnt work as a group confront him in game when hes vulnerable, such as when hes sleeping, as long as he doesnt already have a magical item that prevents him from needing sleep or doesnt try and sleep in his portable hole. This is pretty funny to me, in all my years of gaming Ive never encountered anything like this, and Im very surprised the DM has let this go on for 10 levels. If this guy is hoarding items I can imagine he'd be the first one to either turn tail and run or betray the party at the first sign of certain doom. Pretty sure if I were DM Id have given him a talking to a long time ago to make things right and asked them to leave the game if that didnt work.

Just talk to the player in question. alone preferably. 90% they don't have any idea that thier actions are causing grief.
If it doesn't get resolved then I'd go to the rest of the table for resolution.

dave2008

Legend
IMO, this (magic item distribution) is something that should have been brought up in session 0 so the whole party could discuss it. I would ask your GM to bring it up now and have the group discuss it.

Last edited:

Can everyone see what everyone else has? It might be worth getting everyone to make a list of what items their character has for the sake of knowing each other's capabilities.
Failing an encounter, or only getting through with much sacrifice, and only then remembering that you had something that would have made it much easier is something I, (and I'm betting lots of other people) have done.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
A lot of good advice. I would also suggest seeding the loot with items that the player's character can't use (e.g. if he's playing a fighter, have the loot contain scrolls or wands)

Remove ads