D&D 5E Best way to deal with greedy players and magic items in a fun game.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Two Things:

1. As DM, it's always good to have a fair system to deal with magic items. When multiple players express interest for an item, it should be rolled for. A good DM should understand that not all players speak up, so should encourage that discourse.

2. This is why there are cursed items. (j/k...kinda)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I have been playing 5e since it was the Next Playtest, so however many years that is, and I have not come across any magic item hoarding as egregious as this. I highly doubt the rules are to blame for this player's antisocial behavior.
I've run a lot of AL games at a FLGS, You need only look at all the times wotc rebuilt the loot handling until eventually throwing up their hands with pick from a list at various levels. I agree that it's an extreme case, but it's an extreme case that the system no longer provides the other players with tools to combat.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
1. As DM, it's always good to have a fair system to deal with magic items. When multiple players express interest for an item, it should be rolled for. A good DM should understand that not all players speak up, so should encourage that discourse.
Respectfully I disagree. No problems with the DM bringing it up in Session 0, but it shouldnt' ever fall on the DM. Whether they are divvied up by characters or by players, neither of those should the DM have a say.

The only exception might be in a public forum or other place with rotating players.

pukunui

Legend
I've run a lot of AL games at a FLGS, You need only look at all the times wotc rebuilt the loot handling until eventually throwing up their hands with pick from a list at various levels. I agree that it's an extreme case, but it's an extreme case that the system no longer provides the other players with tools to combat.
OK. I'll concede it may have been a problem in AL. I have no experience with it. That said, I think these sorts of loot hoarding players have existed for far longer than 5e has.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Respectfully I disagree. No problems with the DM bringing it up in Session 0, but it shouldnt' ever fall on the DM. Whether they are divvied up by characters or by players, neither of those should the DM have a say.

The only exception might be in a public forum or other place with rotating players.
Yeah, meant that as a session 0 item, not that the DM regulates it during play.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
OK. I'll concede it may have been a problem in AL. I have no experience with it. That said, I think these sorts of loot hoarding players have existed for far longer than 5e has.
It's not that 5e breathed that type of player into existence. What 5e did was empower those players and remove any personal detriment for their PC being in a group of players who are playing under equipped PCs. The rest of the group does not need magic items to keep from being a hindrance to them and allowing the rest of the group to have anything they could possibly benefit from will only serve to make the problem player less awesome

ECMO3

Hero
IMO, this (magic item distribution) is something that should have been brought up in session 0 so the whole party could discuss it. I would ask your GM to bring it up now and have the group discuss it.
Actually session 0 was only 3 players and did not include the troubled player or one of the others. They joined in session 2 and 8 respectively.

At session 0 the three of us decided we would split magic items based on who could use it the best (which admitedly can be ambiguous). You find a magic Rapier - who can use it best the Rogue or the sword and board Paladin?

Last edited:

Remove ads