• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best wizard spell selection IRL

Invisibility,
and ALL kinds of
- telekinesis
- teleportation (my kids know D&D, and they wish so often for having teleport: holiday trips, let's visit grandma & grandpa 500km away, ...)

Sure... but is [Foresight] the best in real life?

Yes. It's still best in real life. Pros:
* Lasts 8 hours
* No Concentration
* Advantage on all checks, saves, and attacks
* Never surprised

You'll never caught by a surprise meeting.
You'll be first to seize the initiative for any task.
If you're sick or injured you're more than twice as likely to recover.
All tasks seem routine, and far less difficult.
Best of all - no component cost.

Using a teleportation circle costs 50gp each time, and you need another circle as your destination. That normally means the other circle is permanent, which costs 1 year of time and 1 casting per day. That comes out to 18,250gp, provided you didn't start making a teleportation circle on a leap year. At the time of this post 1oz of gold costs $1294.02, and that means in 5e you're spending $414.08(64) per day just to cast the spell. A permanent teleportation circle to Japan will cost you $151,141.53 after a year of casting. Double that if you're creating two.

Stalker0

Legend
I’ll just go with the key ones.

Divination - information is the new oil as they say. Honestly one good divination and I could become the worlds richest person.

Charm person / suggestion / comprehend languages: it’s all about who you know. You would fly up the social ladder and could speak fluently with any influential person on the planet.

Fly / teleport - Transportation is very important, and just plain fun.

Fabricate - I can create almost anything in an instant. Combined with my infinite money, I could truly have it all.

Shield / resilent sphere - for when people inevitably come after you.

Dream - I can kill anyone in the world, no witnesses. Could come in handy

Simulacrum / clone - immortality sounds cool.

Wish - for everything I didn’t think of, or you know raising my loved ones from the dead, having anything I wanted, curing any illness or ailment ...the usual.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
You might care to read the two threads I created about spells with concealable components and spells without components for day to day load outs.

I'll just add that your Mage self should take Magic Initiate: Bard for Vicious Mockery.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I plan to use a crystal or wand focus. The crystal might be pretty big -- it looks like 1 lb. of quartz is a sphere about 2.7" across (although in its crystal form it is a hexagonal prism yada yada yada). For a wand, I could use a walking cane. Or the sheath part of a sword-cane! Yeah! I have probably put way too much thought into this.

My entire spellbook will be contained in an app on my phone. With my backup spellbook having been uploaded to the cloud.
Along with a handy decoder app to help me learn knew spells.

My phone will also act as a focus. Or maybe a set of nifty bluetooth headphones. The phone already has location services in case I lose it, so no need for the Locate Object spell.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Fear - just go away and leave me alone.
Guards and Wards - try to find me in my house.
Message, and Mage Hand (especially the Arcane Trickster enhancements), proved so useful and fun playing Tales from the Yawning Portal that I want them IRL. The trick, of course, is to not make yourself an obvious target for people who want to exploit your power to their advantage.

Remove ads