Bestiary Coming For Call of Cthulhu

Chaosium has announced a two-volume hardcover bestiary called Malleus Monstrorum for the Call of...

Chaosium has announced a two-volume hardcover bestiary called Malleus Monstrorum for the Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition RPG.

Malleus_Slipcase_-_Mockup_-_700x900_-_PDF__04358.1592156860.png

It comes out in October in hardcover, but you can get the PDF now, and have that amount discounted from the hardcover set in October.

"This two-volume collection is packed with ideas, concepts, and insights to immerse Call of Cthulhu scenarios and campaigns deep in the heart of the Cthulhu Mythos. With lore and statistics updated and revised for Call of Cthulhu 7th edition, and all brought to startling life by the illustrations of expert artist Loïc Muzy."

The PDF (480 pages, both books) is $39.99. The hardcover slipcase set is $89.99. There's a special edition for $199.99.

Malleus_Monstrorum_Volume_I_-_Monsters_of_the_Mythos_pages_20-21_-_1400x900__13665.1590783543.png
Malleus_Monstrorum_Volume_I_-_Monsters_of_the_Mythos_pages_48-49_-_1400x900__59977.1590783544.png
Malleus_Monstrorum_Volume_I_-_Monsters_of_the_Mythos_pages_86-87_-_1400x900__01741.1590783544.png
Malleus_Monstrorum_Volume_I_-_Monsters_of_the_Mythos_pages_120-121_-_1400x900__40579.1590783544.png
Malleus_Monstrorum_Volume_I_-_Monsters_of_the_Mythos_pages_198-199_-_1400x900__92503.1590783544.png

Find 'em on Chaosium's website here.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I had planned on starting to buy some Call of Cthulhu-stuff, so that is on my list. Still Waiting for the Swedish version though (I have the PDF's for it but not the hardcover). Will I ever get to play it. Maybe.

Retreater

Legend
First off, I love Call of Cthulhu, and I've run a few campaigns. The new edition is especially nice. That said, a Bestiary seems one of the least useful books for this game. You are discouraged from fighting things. Monsters are meant to be mysterious and indescribable.
Secondly, I'm definitely going to buy it because it looks awesome. :D

Nebulous

Legend
Will probably get the pdfs. I have all the 7e stuff in hardback. It's not something I would really use much. Looks gorgeous though. If I ran anything it would be pulp CoC, so there would be more monsters and shotguns and dynamite than normal.

Iv'e been awaiting replacements for my "Ye Booke of Monsters" I and II for over a decade. The price point is heavy, but 7th ed has had high production values and is worth every penny. I have until October to save up. My only wish is that Chaosium was like Evil Hat and offered pdf redemption for buying from my LGS, instead of in essence offering the PDF free with purchase of the hardcover from them directly.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't even think the price point is heavy. The books are what, $45 each? That's a great deal for a full colour hardback IMO. They could have been $60 each and I wouldn't have blinked.

Voadam

Legend
180 pages more than their prior edition Malleus Monstrorum. Too bad they seem to have pulled that one from their PDF catalog.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads