Better Off Unknown (D&D 3.5 edition)

aboyd

Explorer
Overview
Our gaming group meets on Thursdays, twice a month. We're looking for one new gamer to join the group, so if you're in San Jose, California, contact me. I post one or two updates per game night. I don't mind crosstalk, so feel free to comment. I am not the DM.

Background
Our game is set in Greyhawk, in the Azure Sea. We start in the city of Freeport, which we placed on the east side of Fairwind Isle. We were trying to do the classic Freeport trilogy of modules, but because our group was fairly neutral and/or chaotic, we pretty much ruined the do-gooder quests, and had to get a new DM. The story picks up just as we're deciding to abandon Freeport. We've got a lawful good character in our group now, and he has no idea what ditching Freeport will do. For that matter, the other characters don't have much idea either. But if they did, they'd probably shrug it off.

Characters
Govard - human rogue, questionable alignment
Crommel (aka Crom) - dwarf fighter, lawful good
Castor - human wizard, unknown alignment
Draden (aka Osric) - human ranger, chaotic neutral
Alric - human cleric, neutral

Lothar - human fighter, left the game
Dox - human wizard, left the game
Scarbelly - orc pirate (NPC)
Aggro - orc pirate (NPC)
Thuron - Freeport quest-giver (NPC)
Henry - Freeport stable-boy (NPC)

Last edited:

aboyd

Explorer
Flight From Freeport, part 1

Draden stood, watching his nemesis retreat down the winding street. Alric wheezed, drenched in sweat and visibly burned. Quietly, hunched over as if from cramps, he muttered a prayer. The group waited for a moment as Alric's skin healed and his body regained vigor.

Govard ushered them off the main street and into a quiet alley. A discussion ensued. Should they return the statue? What if there were yet more tasks to be done? What of these assailants? What of the debts that some in the party owed? Who would come seeking payment, or payback?

It appeared that the group's presence in Freeport was growing uncomfortable. Draden had abandoned his cover name, and Lothar and Dox had left. Even now, the two of them could be at the Bilge Rat spouting stories better left unsaid.

"That ridiculous 'Order of Drac' was more of a burden than an award, for all the attention it caused," muttered Draden.

"I'll take the award," said Crommel.

"We should not have had a reception with every person of standing in this city, either," said Govard.

"If Castor managed to find us, then likely anyone can," said Alric. And then with a graceful nod, "But of course you came at the right time, and are welcome."

Castor smiled, "You are correct. My timing is good."

Crommel leaned forward inquiringly. "What's wrong with a little notoriety? Do a good deed, get in somebody's good graces, right?"

"Crom, you must have noticed that some of us don't exactly want to be known. Some of us value our... privacy."

Crommel raised an eyebrow. "Well, if it's anonymity you want, and a good pitched battle I'm after, what better way for all of us to get our wishes than to disappear into the chaos of war?"

"You're starting to sound like a dwarf," said Alric. "It's almost as if someone is putting words into your mouth. Explain your idea."

The dwarf gestured, and everyone leaned down close. "Have you ever heard of Azarr Kul?"

And so in the gathering darkness, the group laid down a plan.

aboyd

Explorer
Flight From Freeport, part 2

Govard moved silently through the streets, avoiding use of the sewers so that the smell would not betray him. After too many experiences with the Yellow Shields, he was uneasy being on the streets, nearly alone. But it was time for his skills to be put to the test.

Crommel tailed Govard at a great distance. He planted each step carefully, wincing at even the dull diminished clank his armor sometimes made. Even with his superior vision, he could barely track Govard from shadow to shadow. He only hoped that if he heard a commotion, he could run fast enough to enter the fray in time.

In a different part of town, Castor and Alric made their way to the stables. Castor peered around the building. Alric whispered, "Henry? Are you still awake?"

Draden headed to the docks. He found the ship he was looking for, and went out of his way to approach quietly from the opposite side. He pulled up behind an oversized pirate who had been standing guard in a near slumber. With a weapon in each hand, Draden slid his dagger under the pirate's huge chin, and placed his sword against the pirate's back.

"Hello Aggro. Don't even think of calling out. Why don't you go tell Scarbelly that his old friends are here to see him?"

Aggro grunted and stiffened alertly, but did not turn around. "Why don' I jus' kill you fer sneaking about and holdin' a blade to me throat?"

"Oh, I think we have enough gold to make you and your captain very happy to keep us alive. And I don't want to kill you, I just wanted to buy enough time to speak with you privately. I'm certain your friend in the crow's nest would have been eager to rain down a few arrows on a man approaching in the darkness, and I'm afraid I just can't have any other ships alerted to our... friendly exchange." Draden lowered his weapons.

Aggro turned. "How much gold?"

aboyd

Explorer
Flight From Freeport, part 3

Castor approached, the reigns of a horse in hand. Behind him followed 2 additional horses, led by Henry and Alric. Each horse was burdened with sacks and equipment. Draden gestured to the pirates, and then stepped forward.

"How did it go? And how did you manage to remain so quiet?"

Castor replied, "It was Henry's idea. He tied hay to the horses' hooves. It muted their footsteps on the cobbles and the docks. Horses weren't too thrilled about it, though." He patted a saddlebag. "I think we got everything, plus some extras that Henry's contacts were able to put together at the last minute."

"I'm gonna miss our arrangement, Henry," said Draden. Henry smiled, and nodded. As they unloaded the bags, Govard arrived.

"Where's Crommel?" asked Castor.

Govard smirked. "He'll show up eventually. He's trying to keep his plate mail from creaking too loudly. He can probably see us. We should all wave."

Everyone picked up bags and gear, and headed to the boat. Once everything was safely on board, Alric fixed his eyes on Govard. "Did you do it? Did you leave the jade statue at Thuron's door?"

"No," said Govard nonchalantly.

"What?" Crommel finally arrived, looking concerned. "What do you mean, no? I heard no fighting, you never hollered for help!"

"Correct. I didn't say there were problems, merely that I did not leave the statue at the door."

"So where is it?" asked Castor.

Govard smiled. "At the foot of Thuron's bed. Did you know that he sleeps in lizard form? It's a wonder so few people have discovered who he really is."

Crommel grumbled, "It's a wonder you got in and out without causing a ruckus."

The boat lurched as the last mooring went free. Crommel took a seat and held on. The sky's brilliant moon hung low like a scoop to catch the ocean as it poured over the edge of the world.

"We never did get to the lighthouse. We're likely to miss it, shining like a beacon for the first time. I mean, if it really is a lighthouse. Probably missed it by a day."

"I don't care," said Alric. "We've got the open sea before us. The god of travel is likely pleased to see me moving again."

In the distance, the city of Freeport receded into the night.

aboyd

Explorer
The Journey Begins, part 1

Two days out from Freeport, Govard and Castor lay on the floor, seasick and apparently hoping to find something solid to rest upon. Draden, Crommel and Alric gathered around a battered table. Having finished the "food" and muttering about its mysterious contents, the topic gradually returned to their destination.

Alric commented, "We cannot tell the captain to drop us in the midst of a battle against this Azarr Kul."

"Why not?" asked Crommel.

Alric replied, "He is an orc. He may very well be hoping the hobgoblin hordes win. He may be allied. If we tell him we intend to help slaughter his friends, he may not wish to drop us off."

Alric heard a strained voice coming from the floor. "What, then?" asked Govard. "Should we head back to reclaim Draden's 'throne?' Where was that again?"

Draden started to snap a reply, but stopped quickly as footsteps on the ladder announced visitors.

Scarbelly came up from the lower gangway, and took a seat at the end of the table. He waved over a short goblin that had been following him. "Cookie, fetch the rum allotment and six cups."

Crommel glanced over at Scarbelly, a smile becoming evident under his beard.

"So, you are away from Freeport and have paid me a lot of money to get you here. The question is, where do you want to be?" A frown flashed briefly across Scarbelly's face before continuing, "There are a number of places where this ship cannot go, but many more where we are welcome." He leaned back in the chair as Cookie returned with the rum. Cookie poured a draught into each of six battered silver goblets, and handed them out.

"To your health," saluted Scarbelly as he downed the rum. Castor didn't even try to drink, but Govard managed a swig. Cookie left the bottle in the center of the table, and headed back to the galley.

The captain grabbed the bottle with one hand and spread out a worn map on the table with his other hand. The original ink was faded but visible, although much was obscured by scrawls in a language unknown to the group. Basic landmarks were clear -- Flotsam and Jetsom, Freeport, The Pomarj, Keoland. But overlaid were thick lines and cruel scratches, which Alric presumed to be routes and secret ports that would serve an orc pirate well.

Although Alric worshiped the god of travel, he had never been very interested in the mechanics of travel itself. Looking over the map, he felt that perhaps he should have developed a greater respect for these things. But all that truly mattered to Alric was that he was on the move. And so he looked up at the imposing figure of the captain, and said with a smile, "We might be willing to be dropped anywhere you wish. So long as you do not deliver us to depths of the ocean, I believe we will survive. Although my friends may say otherwise."

For a while, they did. The discussion continued until it came down to a simple matter of food. Their stores would only last a few more days, unless one of the horses stabled below deck could be slaughtered to feed the crew. The very suggestion appeared to be abhorrent to Crommel. In the end, the agreement was to sail for the closest port, northwest. Their provisions would last that long, if the wind was fair.

Alric, Draden, and the captain headed topside. Perhaps still disturbed by the discussion, Crommel headed down to check on his pony. As if the gods wanted to deepen his paranoia, Crommel found the ship's cook sitting by the horses, sharpening his blades. The little goblin was staring cross-eyed, drooling, his knife whisking against the whetstone. Moving in front of the animals, Crommel met his beady eyes. It was time to deliver a warning.

Draden turned to Alric. "Do you hear that? Sounds like our orc friends down there are behaving like... orcs."

Alric shrugged. "No, I don't hear anything." Then came the dread sound of wood colliding with wood. The crew on deck began running towards the bow. "Oh, you mean that?"

"No I don't!" shouted Draden, who had already notched an arrow. He spoke without returning Alric's questioning gaze, his eyes instead scanning the front of the vessel.

Shouts in the orcs' guttural tongue flew between the captain and crew quickly. Then Alric saw it, a thick heavy ooze that rapidly engulfed the railing. He wasn't sure if it was the blurry transparency of the jelly-like creature, but it appeared that some wood under the beast was actually disintegrating. With a twinge of true fear, Alric rushed out a magical prayer, the words coming so quickly he barely registered what he was doing. But Draden had landed a shot before Alric even opened his mouth.

"Govard! Castor! Get up here!" Draden moved for a clear shot and whipped another arrow onto the string.

Alric finished his spell. "They're sick! We'll be lucky if they can hold their weapons right now. But CROM COULD LEND A HAND!" Alric was nearly screaming, hoping to draw up his comrade.

Below deck, Crommel had been knocked off-balance by the initial crash. He left the cook and rushed up, but turned back when he heard the captain shouting. Returning to the goblin he blurted, "Scarbelly is hollering for you to get soap!" Seeing the knowing look of panic on the goblin's face, Crommel paused for a moment and looked hard at the creature before him, then bolted toward the top deck.

As he sprinted onto the scene, he could see a crowd of orcs, wrestling with their spears. For a split second, it appeared as if they were trying to pull them out of mid-air. Then he understood. A clear, shimmering goo rose up before them, almost welcoming their weapons into its sticky mass.

From over head, arrows whizzed past. His companions were firing from the helm. Then Alric leapt down and raced toward the commotion. Even as he ran, his hands began to glow a warm red. Crommel knew that spell, the wonderful spell that meant healing was on the way. But it also meant that there were casualties already. As he followed the healer into the fray, he saw the beneficiary of that spell -- the captain, caught up in the amorphous mess. With his body contorted under crushing pressure, Scarbelly shouted back in a muffled gag, "get the cook!"

Crommel turned and raced below deck. In the ship's galley he found the goblin, eyes wide. In his arms he carried a huge pot, full of liquid slopping over the sides. "Get moving!" Crommel commanded. To his surprise, the little cook started running so fast that Crommel couldn't keep up. He got back on deck just as the goblin splashed the soapy water on the monster and retreated. Crommel ran toward the fight, axe raised.

Alric pulled back just in time, having healed the captain repeatedly. Nearly all of his spells were expended. The corpse of his summoned fire beetle was already being digested. Arrows and spears protruded at many angles. Crommel pushed forward and dropped his axe deep into the beast. Clear jelly gushed out of the gash. Crommel set his foot against the fallen body of a crew member, and with a defiant tug, wrested free his axe. To his right, another orc was slammed and overrun as the massive gelatinous monster moved forward.

The sea creature appeared to be intelligent enough to use materials that had stuck to it, including a large crate that it wielded like a club. But it didn't appear to be smart enough to wield anything like a shield. And so the crew landed blow after blow.

More arrows punctured and peppered the clear flesh of the beast. Crommel struck again, opening another deep gash. He nearly slipped on the soap-covered floor, but it was also working to their favor. Scarbelly was no longer stuck, and fighting fiercely. Two orcs had abandoned their spears and grabbed new weapons. In a few more gristly blows, the blob collapsed like a giant dead jellyfish.

The cleric began tugging at the orc bodies. "What are you doing?" Draden called out, "They're ORCS! You don't have to waste healing on THEM!" He jumped down from the helm and ran over.

Alric gestured toward a body. "Quickly, we might save some of them. Staunch the bleeding."

Draden stood for a moment, muttered something fierce, and turned to the fallen orc. "I cannot believe I'm doing this." He pulled the orc free. "He's alive, but I don't think I have time to save him. Look at his broken limbs, they're all going in the wrong direction. He'll stop breathing in a second."

Alric ran over and cast his last and most powerful healing spell. He looked at Draden, and said, "It probably won't work, but the fight is over, I hope. If the spell is wasted, it is okay. There is no other battle that needs us right now."

To both their surprise, the orc's body began to revitalize. Alric quickly placed the limbs back in a roughly correct arrangement, and the magic did the rest. Soon the orc was up and walking again, no thanks offered.

The crew was already attempting to remove the creature, as it had indeed digested some of the ship itself. Even in death it seemed to have a potent effect on the wood it touched. Being too large to heave overboard, the orcs had begun hacking it into smaller chunks, tossing each piece.

Draden joined in, picking a spot where a long-dead corpse -- presumably a victim of a previous attack -- remained captured in the goo. Draden cut into it and pulled out the body parts, eventually finding a ring on a bony digit. He removed the ring and pocketed it, but not before Scarbelly noticed the activity. The orc lumbered over and issued a command in the common tongue, "Give up yer bounty, the spoils are shared on this ship!"

Draden was unapologetic, and uncompromising. "No I will not. We risked our lives in this fight, and it wasn't even our battle. We paid your men for safe passage! You couldn't deliver, so I'm getting back some of my investment."

"Bah!" Scarbelly was irate. He began shouting in orcish. The rest of the crew stopped work and turned their attention to the argument.

Alric stepped in. "None of you would be around for this if I hadn't saved you. Let him have what he found. You have your lives."

Unmoved, the captain demanded the treasure again. Some of the pirates barked out comments in their unfamiliar language. Draden could guess that they were voicing agreement with their captain. He needed to do something. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a gold coin and flicked it at Scarbelly. "Fine, have the stupid treasure."

For a moment, the captain stood in disbelief. Then he said, "A single coin? That's it? You argued with me over a stupid piece of gold!"

"Aye." Draden stood firm, and looked Scarbelly right in the eyes.

"Why do you care about one measly coin? Down below you have chests full of treasure!"

With a sly grin, Draden said, "How do you think I got all that treasure?"

Scarbelly's confused expression slowly changed to dim awareness. Then he laughed. "Ah, greed! A good way to accumulate wealth!"

"Yes," said Draden quietly, "that's one way."

aboyd

Explorer
The Journey Begins, part 2

"I thank you for the repairs to Windcutter, wizard." Captain Scarbelly ran his large hand along the railing. "Your spell does almost as much good as the crew."

Alric bowed. "I am no wizard. I am merely a priest with a generous god. Being a pirate, perhaps you know about him? The god of journeys?"

"Bah! It's true, you are no wizard. A wizard would not preach at me."

Alric shrugged. "Whatever. I won't preach about Fharlanghn if you won't preach about wizards."

The captain laughed. "Good bargain!" He gave the rail a final, hefty pat, and made his way toward the stern. Alric watched him for a while, then turned his attention to the sea. He still wasn't sure if he had done the right thing. He had healed everyone, even the ship itself, except for one crew member -- the one who had manned the crow's nest. That member of the crew had given no notice to his mates as the ooze had closed in and attacked. And he had missed every shot he rained down on the monster. Scarbelly had not been pleased, and beat the crewman senseless. Alric understood this, and didn't want to undermine the captain. But still, he wondered exactly how the orc was supposed to see a clear mass floating in the water. On the other hand, the beast did have wood and entire crates attached to its sticky skin. That should have at least been worth a shout.

"Too many angles to consider," thought Alric. He put it out of his mind, and turned his attention back to the captain. There, atop the helm, Alric saw first mate Aggro in a heated discussion with Scarbelly. Although Alric couldn't hear them, he could track their hand motions. Surreptitiously, he turned his gaze in the direction of their gestures. He saw nothing but blue sea. Knowing that he was poor at both observation and being sneaky, Alric decided not to push his luck. He headed below deck. There, far out of range of any crew member, he found his sick friends. He tended to them for a minute, and then noticed a leg dangling lazily over the edge of a hammock. That was a healthy friend. He made his way over.

"Draden, Aggro noticed something. I cannot guess what is going on. He is up there talking to Scarbelly in an agitated voice. Although with orcs, their voices always sound agitated. Anyway, I thought perhaps someone with your... skill... might be better able to assess the situation."

Draden nodded. "Yes, let's put my skills to the test, shall we?" He rolled out of his hammock and headed topside.

Alric stood below deck and waited. Somewhere above him, he heard Draden shout, "Hey Scar, what's going on?"

Alric nodded. "Ah. Yes. I guess I could have tried that."

Soon enough, Draden returned. "There is a ship of some kind far off on the horizon. I could see what looked to be a very distant sail, but I am not sure. They believe the ship is tailing us. At our speed, we may hit port before they reach us. But they have the same wind, and two masts. Scarbelly doesn't sound positive of the outcome."

Alric replied, "So what do we do? I know we've not been entirely trusting of Scarbelly. I could cast a spell on him to force him to speak truthfully. Perhaps it would reveal if this is a setup. But he is very intelligent for an orc. I worry that he will be quite aware of the spell I cast, or at least he may understand what control I have of his mind. We may not have happy sailing after that."

"Aye. Let us try something with less risk. There are birds on this ship. Perhaps for carrying messages, or eating. I'm not sure. But I might use some minor talent I have to convince the bird to investigate the other ship. Come." Draden made off, and Alric followed.

On deck, Draden stood with a bird on his arm. Alric watched with curiosity as Draden chirped at the bird. Draden smiled at Alric and said, "I have a bond with animals. A friendship. Yet with this bird I am not making progress. Hang on." Draden again made odd birdlike whistles, and Alric stood in bemusement as the bird repeatedly tilted its head and made the same noise, no matter what Draden did. Suddenly Draden snatched the bird from his arm, twisted the feathered neck, and dropped the dead creature over the railing.

"Let's try something else." Draden began walking back to their quarters, frustration clear on his face. Alric almost laughed at what had just transpired, but simply nodded. Draden continued, "Let's post watches. There are three of us healthy enough for action. We will share the duties, sleeping in shifts. Since I was already in the hammock, I believe I will sleep first. Enjoy your watch. Oh, and tell Crom to be quiet when he comes down." And with that, Draden got comfortable and returned to his dreams.

By the time Alric's turn for sleep came around, Scarbelly had formed a plan. It sounded very complicated for a handful of orcs, but the captain seemed sure of himself. "Trust me," he had said, "this is what we're good at." Still, Alric worried about his own part in the action. He would need new spells, and he would need them a bit before sunrise. He began praying early, petitioning his god for leeway.

In the middle of the night, Crommel took over Draden's shift. He pressed Draden for the details of the plan, but Draden was clearly tired. "We're going to take the other ship. Just watch the crew, be sure they don't betray us."

Crommel felt grumpy from the lack of details. "If this other boat is full of good, honest people, then I'm not fighting for a bunch of orcs and goblins who want to eat my pony."

Draden yawned and said in a tired voice, "Perhaps you might fight to capture the other ship, so that we have our own transport. Have you considered that? If we leave the second-in-command alive, I'm sure he would welcome a promotion."

Crommel opened his mouth to reply, said nothing, and closed his mouth. Draden nodded, and headed down below for another round of sleep.

As the hours passed, Crommel noticed increased activity among the crew. It seemed every orc was awake and working. Some orcs had begun throwing crates and other flotsam overboard, but the items were tied to the ship with ropes. Crommel didn't fully understand, but his worry mounted. Were they attempting to secretly slow the ship? Were they being tricked?

Whatever the case, this is what the watch had been for. Crommel ran below deck.

"Alric! Castor! Wake up! The crew has thrown jettison into the wake, but kept it tethered to the ship. We are slowing!"

Alric seemed to rouse from a meditative sleep. "That's the plan." He said no more.

Castor leaned out of his hammock weakly. He was thin and discolored. "I cannot keep down my food. Of all the battles that I thought might take me, I never imagined my defeat would come from a ship, rocking and rocking and urhhg...." Castor dry-heaved, and then laid back in the hammock.

Crommel turned. "Govard? Draden? Will no one fill me in?"

Govard was in a corner, retching. "I may be done adventuring for a while."

Draden came to Crommel's side. "I suppose I've had all the sleep that I will get. Let us head up to the impending battle. I will tell you what I know. We'll leave Alric to pray for these sick weaklings."

As they walked out, they heard Govard mutter, "Perhaps Alric can ask his god why he cannot cure my seasickness."

Up on deck, it was a strange, mute darkness. Without saying it, Draden and Crommel had both expected the usual grunting and arguing among the orcs, but they were carrying out their duties with swift, silent determinedness. Draden appreciated it, as it gave him hope that perhaps he was seeing some skill in their preparations. Perhaps they might have a fighting chance. "We are lucky that the moon and stars are bright tonight. The squall behind us has perhaps done its task. Sit down, Crom, and I will explain what the captain told me. We haven't much time."

Within the hour, every orc stood fully armed and fully silent. The air was tense, their bloodlust palpable. Crommel was almost sickened by the orcs' craving for slaughter. But he knew it may be necessary. No one understood why the distant ship was chasing them. But there had certainly been no indication from them of friendly intent.

With a final quick action, the ballast was cut lose, the ship surged forward, and the chase turned on its head. Crommel realized that the distant ship was no longer distant. The dark clouds and rain between the two ships had masked just how much their distance had reversed. If the other ship had seen them, it had seen them with masts at full sail. They could only hope it would fool others into thinking they were moving at top speed.

Coming around the stormfront, both ships came into view of each other. But it was only the orcs, pulling up quietly alongside, who knew what to expect.

Within moments, the ships were only a few feet apart. Grappling hooks were thrown from silent figures, landing with dull clunks. As the other ship's lookout rang a tardy alarm, the orcs gave a mighty heave, and the two ships impacted with a massive creaking and battering of wood. Heavily armed and roaring with fury, the orcs leapt across, Aggro in the lead. Scarbelly shouted, "Yer prey has come for you!"

The other ship may have been caught unaware, but they were not unready. Within moments, the crew flooded the deck, swords drawn. The advantage of surprise was fleeting. As arrows poured forth from Draden's bow, he saw Aggro and other orcs battling not for dominance, but for survival. He found himself wishing for the sun to rise, as the dim light kept his choice of targets in short supply.

As if in answer, suddenly red fire lit up the other ship, and Draden knew Alric had finally joined the battle. Not knowing where to speak, Draden simply shouted, "How about a spell of light instead of those damned fire beetles?"

"Spells of light cannot attack the enemy!" Alric gestured and the very air itself rippled and roared toward the men on the other ship. Draden did not envy them. Nearly invisible weapons of pure force could set even the most agile man off-balance. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the enemy flailing at the air. He allowed a grim smile to set upon his face.

In the fray, Crommel had tried to board the other boat. But with his dwarf sensibilities, he had finally pulled back and targeted the combatants with his crossbow. But among all of those who stayed back, it seemed that only Draden's arrows met with any success.

In the din of battle, Crommel could hear Draden shouting, "Am I the only one with a bow?"

Scarbelly bellowed from the helm, "It's another beating yer in for, if you don't land some of those arrows!" The captain's face was turned up toward the crow's nest, his fist raised threateningly.

Crommel called out, "Target the ballista!" The massive, mounted crossbow had gotten off one shot and was being prepared for another. Two men were hurriedly loading another missile. Crommel knew that even if it missed him, it could tear holes through wood. He loaded his weapon and took a shot. Others must have heard his call, because quickly all the fire was concentrated on the men at the ballista. One man flew backwards, knocked unconscious.

Crommel eyed the rails again. He wasn't sure he could make it, but he had to engage their men. He scanned the hanging ropes, looking for one that was angled for a good swing. Then he spotted a long plank of wood connecting the ships, started toward it, then stopped. Much to his delight, enemy crew was already attempting a retaliatory boarding. Crommel dropped his crossbow and stood in greeting as men jumped down onto the deck. Knees slightly bent, with his stout frame ready for blows, he pulled out his axe. "Now I've something to swing at!"

On the other ship, Aggro was surrounded. For every blow he struck, he endured three in return. An orc lay dead, but it was not the only corpse to have fallen. Blood was flowing freely from almost every combatant.

Alric could see figures falling, but without the sun he could not be certain whose numbers were thinning. He stared at the rail of the ship, took a breath, and ran. He leapt across and began a prayer of healing even before he knew where to direct it. He ran toward the clash of sword and shield, and found an ally in need. With a good dose of healing and the other side still fatigued, Alric could see the battle was turning in their favor.

Draden had watched as Alric sprang across the rails and disappeared into the fight. Knowing that now could be their chance to turn the tide, he darted toward a makeshift gangplank, and sprinted across. There, he saw men were already running to escape. One man was running for a door. Draden pulled out his dagger and sword, and gave chase.

The door slammed in his face as he approached. He turned the knob to no avail, but the door didn't look sturdy. With his shoulder low, he gave it a brutal shove. The frame splintered and the door gave way. He stood in the doorway, moonlight pouring in, and heard the tick of a trigger being pulled.

The bolt found its target. Draden grimaced as it plunged into his leg. Steeling himself from the pain, he entered the dark room. Draden could see the shadowy movement of a man near the far wall. "You've not killed me, and you've not enough time to reload that crossbow."

Last edited:

aboyd

Explorer
The Chickens Come Home To Roost, part 1 of 5

By the time Alric made it into the room, Draden had killed the man inside.

"The battle is over, Draden. I have healed those I could, and oh! You need healing too!" As Draden turned toward the entryway, the shaft of the crossbow bolt clearly protruded from his leg. Draden noticed the apologetic look on Alric's face.

"What, Alric? Don't tell me you cannot heal this."

Alric shook his head. "No, I can heal it. But the spell will not magically decompose what is lodged inside you. I'm sorry, friend, but I am going to have to push it through. This will not be pain-free."

Outside, Crommel was wiping the blood from his axe. He glanced at the far doorway, but heard neither commotion nor any noise at all. He noticed Scarbelly and Aggro were already arguing again. After piling up the bodies with workmanlike efficiency, Crommel headed down toward the stables.

When Alric and Draden emerged, the orcs were already hard at work on both ships. Crommel was nowhere to be seen. The sun had finally begun to spill orange on the horizon. Scarbelly and Aggro were having an animated debate in orcish.

"Do you speak the orc's language?" Alric asked.

Draden gave Alric a puzzled look. "Speak it? I would rather kill them than learn their ways."

"Ah," said Alric, "then neither of us has any idea what they're saying."

Draden again gave Alric a look of vexation. "We might assume they are arguing over these two fine vessels."

Alric appeared to consider it. "Should we tell them what we found?"

"No." Draden crossed the gangplank. "They're pirates. They know enough, just by trade. But let's find Crom. He gets a bit surly when he's not in the loop."

A short while later, Crommel looked up as the two men approached. Draden held out his arms in mock exasperation. "We should have looked for you here first!"

Alric came up to his own horse and patted him. He leaned around the horse and smiled at Crommel. "We have news. Interested?"

"I would hear it."

Draden folded his arms. "It's not much, but we've helped ourselves to some documents on board the Purity's Prow."

"Purity's Prow?"

"Yes, the caravel that we've captured." Draden unfolded his arms and paced thoughtfully back and forth. "It seems that they had no special interest in us, although I don't say that for certain. But it appears that they were of the Scarlett Brotherhood, and of the mind that they could take any ship by rights."

Crommel stopped grooming his pony for a moment. "The Scarlet Brotherhood? Not a good enemy."

"Yes, well, it may be Aggro's problem now. I believe he will command Purity's Prow, and he will have to come up with answers if he is captured."

Crommel looked disturbed. "Didn't we intend to commandeer that ship?"

"I hoped so. But I also thought we might keep their second-in-command alive. Yet we killed the entire crew, apparently. The only one left who can rightfully lead a crew is Aggro. Scarbelly is probably arguing with him right now over whether the arrangement is permanent or temporary."

Draden continued, "We're close to Sanduchar. I imagine we'll find the cavern Scarbelly is looking for in a day or two. Let's prepare our possessions in such a way as to get off the Windcutter without drawing attention. And perhaps Alric might see if he can get Govard and Castor walking again."

aboyd

Explorer
The Chickens Come Home To Roost, part 2 of 5

"Welcome to Rook's Roost, humans." Scarbelly stood proudly at the helm, one hand on the wheel, and one arm outstretched toward the cliffs. Both the Windcutter and Purity's Prow sailed right into a vast cavern, the sun disappearing as stone passed by overhead.

"And dwarf," groused Crommel.

"Eh?" said Scarbelly.

"Nevermind," said Crommel.

Alric was elated. Not much could throw a ripple into his usual demeanor, but this was it. A true pirate cove, and a massive one at that. As they sailed under the distant, stalactite-ridden roof, a small city blazed before his eyes. Alric was seeing things he knew many never would, and he hoped Fharlanghn was proud.

"Who is our contact here?" asked Castor, who had recovered slightly with Alric's help.

"Mmm. Ivellilian. Elf witch, will set the fear into ya. Follow her rules." And with that, Scarbelly began barking out orders in orcish. The crew responded quickly, with a spring in their step. They came into a small port, and merchants were already crowding the docks, perhaps hoping to sell fruit and other things a sailor might miss at sea.

To Alric, it seemed incongruous for hardened monsters to act... happy. But there it was, plain as day. These orcs felt good about arriving here. Alric hoped it would be a happy stop for him and his friends as well, but he had a nagging suspicion that any place a pirate loved he would do well to fear.

They exited behind many of the crew, hoping most of the attention would be drawn away. And it did seem to play out that way for the most part, but one dock-hand approached. He seemed chatty enough, and asked the group to state their business.

"Right now, my business is to find out what I'm up against here," said Draden, still moving forward with the reigns of his horse in hand.

The man came alongside and spoke briskly. "Well, if that's yer business, I might offer a transaction."

Draden paused, as did the rest of the group. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a coin. He pressed it into the other man's hand, and said, "Give me a good deal for my money."

The man seemed agreeable, and again spoke with haste, "Stay at the Barnacle. Do not visit the Grog's Fist unless ye be hoping for a pummeling. Take yer steeds to Ogre, down by the Barnacle. You'll see his name on the building, but yer nose can lead ya there true enough."

Draden gestured back toward the docks. "There is another ship in port. What is the story there?"

"Ah, that's the Midnight's Edge. Jovina Sandborn stole it fer revenge. I'll not say more, but you can ask her when you get to the Barnacle."

"Not say more? My coin purchased a few measly sentences?"

The man bowed slightly, a deferential gesture. "I'll speak more. But I don't know you or the people yer with. You may know those involved in Jovina's escapades, or you may not." He began walking on, as the group followed. "I don't fancy the idea of filling yer heads with mercenary thoughts. So I'll let her be the judge of character. If she wants to give you details, she will. But pick another topic, and I'll say my share."

Draden sighed. "Okay, fine. What about Ivellilian? Scarbelly mentioned her."

"Aye, that's her tower there, down the walkway. But good luck gaining entry. Best to find her at the Barnacle. She only goes when she's feeling social, so it's the ideal time, anyway. Try not to get on her bad side. She's good enough, but to keep her town from burnin' down to the ground, she'll not tolerate reckless behavior."

"Why is it so hard to gain entry to her tower?"

The dock-hand shrugged. "I've not seen a door."

From the back of the group, Crommel was heard to say, "Crazy wizards."

As they neared the tower, Draden handed the reigns of his horse over to Castor. Draden circled the tower, pressing and knocking at the building. The group waited.

Alric approached the dock-hand. "This cave is well-lit at the far end. Is it daylight? Is it a way out?"

The man shook his head, "No, that's only torch light... and perhaps a spell of light, or two."

Draden came around the structure, towards Castor. He took back his reigns. He turned to Crommel and said, "There's a door." The dock-hand looked stunned, and perhaps a bit doubtful. Draden continued, "Far side, placed so most wouldn't see its use. Probably lends Ivellilian a sense of mystery, and she likely paid well for it too. Workmanship that good took some luck for me to detect."

Crommel raised an eyebrow. "Show me. Could it be dwarven craftsmanship?"

Draden shrugged. "Let's go see."

As they walked off, Castor called out, "Look, but do not enter! There could be terrible curses for anyone foolish enough to play thief!"

Alric didn't seem interested. He pressed on with his questioning, "So is there a path back to the topside? Or do we take another boat out of here?"

The man looked at Alric as if assessing him for the first time. "Uh, you'll want to talk to Verdash Vrik about that. Not that anybody wants to talk to Verdash." The man's eyes returned to Draden and Crommel as they went around the tower. He began moving away from the group, and said with a wave of farewell, "Keeps yer arms in hand while you walk about, and you may see the sun soon enough."

aboyd

Explorer
The Chickens Come Home to Roost, part 3 of 5

Having walked half the length of the underground town, the group stood at the entrance to a suspended bridge. Alric tried to commit to memory the vision he was seeing -- a long bridge leading up into a massive stalactite, at least 100 feet in diameter. Dwarves guarded both ends of the bridge, and Crommel was already in an animated discussion with one of them.

Govard hung back. "I'll take the horses. Unload." He still looked sickly and wasted. Draden grabbed his gear and made his way across the bridge. Castor followed. Alric hesitated, not wanting to leave the weakest member of the party to wander alone, searching for the stables.

Crommel seemed to notice, and said, "I'll walk with him. I need to see that my pony is well taken care of."

Alric reluctantly removed his gear from his horse, and started across the bridge. As he approached the entry to a hollow in the stalactite, he noticed a raised portcullis. He paused. Inside he could see his friends. But he had no idea what else awaited him. Was the portcullis to keep raiders at bay, or victims within? For a moment, Alric considered casting a spell to watch for malicious intent, but a dwarf stood nearby in full armor, and Alric did not wish to alarm the guards. With a shrug, he headed inside.

Draden and Castor had already negotiated the rental of two rooms. The bartender, a female dwarf, was pointing them toward a staircase. Alric approached, noting to himself that she seemed decent enough. All three headed up the stairs together. They found even more guards at the top of the stairs, and presented a pass. Inside there was a waiting area with a view right out of the stalactite, down to the water below. They made their way to their rooms, and stashed their goods. Alric felt reasonably sure that nothing would be stolen as long as the guards were truly upstanding folk. He felt the itch to cast a spell to detect wickedness again, but suppressed it.

"Should we join our friends at the stables?" asked Castor.

"After a drink," said Draden.

Back downstairs, the bartender made assurances that the bar's offerings were of extremely high caliber. Castor wasn't moved. "Crom would be unhappy if he missed a drink with his people."

Draden shrugged. "We'll buy him a drink soon enough." As he spoke, he put some coins on the bar. Alric followed suit.

While the bartender filled the cups, Alric asked, "Can you tell me if Jovina, Verdash, or Ivellilian is here?"

"Try later," she said, "and why would you ask about Verdash?"

"What do you mean?"

The dwarven woman leaned forward on the counter. "He's a mean cuss, runs a slave trade here. His press-gang probably would've met you at your ship, if not for your weapons and armor. Any other community might not appreciate you brandishing your pointy sticks all about, but in Rook's Roost, you've done well being so... conspicuous."

Alric was disappointed. "We're conspicuous?"

The woman made a placating gesture. "I merely speak to your arms. Here in the Barnacle we tolerate no fighting, but outside, keep your hand to the pommel."

Soon, after agreeing that the drinks were exceptionally good, the three of them made their way toward the stables.

aboyd

Explorer
The Chickens Come Home to Roost, part 4 of 5

A large ogre haggled with Draden. His massive hand rested on the oversized door leading to his stables. Once a price was agreed upon, Castor interjected. "So where are the two who brought our horses here?"

"One is gone. But the little warrior is with the little warhorse."

"Govard is gone? Where'd he go?" asked Castor.

"Not sure." The ogre shrugged his broad shoulders. "Listen, I'm not going to eat horses, okay? You tell the little warrior I don't eat horses, okay?"

Castor laughed. "Okay. I'll tell him. What's your name, ogre?"

"Yes, Ogre." He made no further attempt to explain.

Castor looked at Draden for a moment, just to see if the conversation was amusing him as well. But Draden was staring off at a far-away crowd. Castor again fixed his eyes upon the ogre and said, "So, Ogre, point me in the direction of Crom, er, the little warrior."

Perhaps Castor should not have been surprised to have the conversation take another odd turn, but nonetheless, it was a bit unsettling to have the ogre respond, "I want no part!" And then he slammed his door shut.

Castor stood there, shaken, but still a bit amused. He turned to Draden and said, "Surely that got your attention!" But it had not.

Draden simply shouted, "Cleric!" in a tone that conveyed both urgency and no desire for friendly chatting.

"Are you kidding me?" Alric wasn't thrilled with what he was hearing. He stood at the foot of a towering wall of rock near the back of the cavern, peering into a craggy hole that appeared to lead upward. "I have to pay this Verdash guy just to get out?"

The little man nodded. "Or, my big friend here can squash you. Those are the options when trying to use the exit." The man paused, looked at Alric from head to toe, and said, "Say, you wouldn't happen to be a cleric, would you?"

"Yes," said Alric, "yes I am."

"Ah. So if some strangers to this place were shouting for a cleric, they might be people you know?"

Alric turned around. He heard it. He could see the stables. He started running.

Govard was already staggering, bruised and pale. Two orcs were bearing down upon him. With one fluid motion, they clubbed him on the back of the head and kept running straight toward Draden. Govard fell prone on the ground.

Draden dropped his bow and readied for close combat. Next to him, Castor unleashed a volley of magical missiles, honing in on their target. One orc stumbled, but did not fall.

Alric ran up behind the party and called a magical weapon of pure force into being. The air cracked and struck down upon one of the orcs, but it wasn't enough to penetrate the armor. Again the orc stumbled, but pressed forward.

Unbeknownst to Alric, others were also running up behind the party. Suddenly Alric felt a biting pain surge through his neck and hit his clavicle. It was well-placed to avoid his chain shirt. He winced as the pain almost brought him to his knees.

With the ugly crash of a street brawl, Alric could hear Draden's blades hacking into metal and wood, probably a shield. But Alric had no time to assess the situation. Almost on instinct, he spun dizzily and lunged with his enchanted spear. But it was too sloppy of an effort, and easily deflected.

To Alric's horror, he was not confronted with one backstabbing opponent, but two. In a panic, he screamed out for Crommel. At that moment, he felt a sense of submission welling up inside of him, unnatural and unbidden. He shook it off, but found himself flanked as he tried to regain his composure. Alric was outclassed, and he knew it.

It only deepened his discouragement to see his assailants nimbly leap out of the way of Castor's magical flames. But it bought Alric a second to rush toward the ogre's stable, and set his back to the wall. He would go down fighting. He lunged again with his spear, and again his thrust was avoided.

Alric's force weapon took a final miss at the man attacking Draden, and dissipated. Draden, also outnumbered and badly wounded, fell to his knees. But the two orcs did not press on to attack Castor, and made no move to finish off Draden. One bellowed, "Give up, give us everything!"

Everyone hesitated. The bloody standoff had attracted a crowd of onlookers, who stood far back from the fray. Someone booed.

"Let me heal my men!" Alric shouted. He moved his hand to his belt.

"No!" replied the orc. "Drop everything now or die!"

"Then I shall die!" And with that, Alric leapt toward Draden, wand in hand, an incantation on his lips. Castor again called forth fire, immolating one surprised criminal right where he stood.

Alric's luck was so thorough that it nearly took shape with a life of its own. One orc swung down hard at Alric as he was in mid-air, but perhaps in the rage of it, swung wildly and too late. The spell charged into Draden at full power, healing the greatest and smallest of wounds.

As Alric hit the ground he again felt the overwhelming desire to submit himself to the will of these attackers, but furiously he fought it off as he tumbled out of reach of the orcs. Again he screamed out for Crommel.

Draden was not as fortunate, and within a second of regaining awareness, he found himself fending off blows as he lay upon the ground.

Castor quickly fired off another volley of magical missiles, and they seared the very air itself as they tore into a burly orc with a religious symbol around his neck. He grimaced and swung at Castor in retaliation.

As Draden got back on his feet -- wounded again, but at least swinging a weapon -- Alric regained some hope of survival. He angrily gestured toward the orc who had made the threat, and again a force barreled out, this time hitting with full accuracy and power. With the orc reeling from the blow, Draden sunk his blade into the orc's throat.

"No more threats from you!" shouted Alric vengefully. Draden pulled free his blade as the orc slumped down. Then he turned and attacked one of the two remaining opponents. Alric also directed his near-invisible magical weapon toward one of the remaining attackers, and then he charged back into hand-to-hand combat himself.

Quickly enough, the third orc fell. But the last -- the brutal, barbaric priest of some corrupt god -- refused to die. Again and again they pounded their weapons upon his shield and armor, and again and again he struck back.

The battle became an ugly struggle of blows. No music played. No noble bard sang of glory. It was the dull pounding of subduing a stronger opponent through sheer numbers. But then, the crowd began to cheer. Alric had no idea who they were cheering for. But their enthusiasm grew.

Battered, with his armor dented and blood pooling at his feet, the hideous orc began a spell from behind his shield. Alric knew it was a last-ditch effort to save his wretched life. "No." said Alric in the blunt tone of defiance, and all three slammed their weapons into the creature. The orc stumbled backwards, his spell broken.

For a moment, he stood with his weapon raised, as if to fight back. He blinked his eyes and made a wheezing sound. Draden approached, as if unafraid, and said, "Perhaps if I remove my blade from your gut, you will breathe easier." Castor saw Draden make a quick tug near the orc's belly, and then the orc fell back against the building.

The crowd erupted in even louder applause and surged forward. Alric raced past the people and sprinted down the walkway. Draden and Castor, unsure of what to make of so many praises, simply bent down and began riffling through the orc's pockets.

Suddenly, the door to the stables slammed open. There stood Crommel, an annoyed look on his face. He hollered in an exasperated tone, "What is all this ruckus?" Then his bulbous nose twitched, and he asked, "Is someone cooking orc?"

Remove ads