• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Between a rock and a hardplace

LostSoul

Adventurer
Kurotowa said:
I'm mostly in agreement with you here. Just two things. I don't see struggling to find a less obvious third choice to be the easy way out. And while making personal statements is great drama it's not something that can be forced. All the DM can do it set up a situation and it's up to the player to decide to step up or pass by.

Good points. Finding a third way is a good choice, and hopefully the third way will be difficult. If the third way is simple, then that robs the choice of its impact. That's all I'm saying.

Situations like this are cool if that's what the player wants. If he's not interested in playing a game like this, then it's probably a mistake to put this in. That's when it becomes a no-win situation.

LostSoul

Adventurer
The_Gneech said:
If the paladin isn't tough enough to fight the harpies, how the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] is he supposed to kill the wizard that fends them off now?

-The Gneech :cool:

It could be as simple as his spell components are just out of reach, and he doesn't have Dimension Door prepared.

comareddin

First Post
When I was discussing these issues with my friend, they were mainly about the belief vs alignment system used in Eberron. What I tried to emphasize was that an Eberron paladin could have chosen some of the options without the fear of violating his dogma.

Com

Tarangil

First Post
:D Great minds think alike! This would make for an interesting game eh?

Tarangil said:
:]
As for the Greater good, I'm sure the Paladin can use a bit of trickery though. If the Paladin were to do some research to find a magic item, like a helm of opposite alignment go on a quest for it, and then set things up where someone can *plunk* it on the Wizards head. That way he can have his cake and eat it too. :D

smilinggm said:
After a long night of prayer and fasting the palidin has a vision of a Magical Helm that was burried in a nearby carn. This helm was placed on the head of an evil lord and he imediatly became a good and just lord. (Ie the helm is a Helm of Oppisit Alignment). Make the journey and the dive into the carn a challenging side treck. Then the palidin in question will have to find a way to place the helm on the evil wizard's head w/o killing him in the fight. Problem solved.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Maybe I'm more "relaxed" when it comes to Paladins, but it seems this is what I would do if I were playing a Paladin:

Force the wizard into submission. In penance for commiting evil acts, he must help defend the village from the Harpies. If he does not comply, he is killed. If he escapes, he is hunted down and killed. Or, better yet, force the Wizard to accompany the Paladin into the mouth of the beast. Mount the Wizard's griffon and have them BOTH go after the Harpies. Ensure that the Wizard will be released if all the Harpies are killed.

Or, even worse...
Of what sort of vile acts is the Wizard guilty? Perhaps there is something there that can be used to the Paladin's advantage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads