D&D (2024) (+) Beyond 2024 - Reprinting and reselling subclasses

Would you buy a "Complete Subclass" book that refreshed non-Core subclass options to 2024 standards?

• Yes, I would buy a "Complete Subclass" book to have it all in one place.

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No, Wizards should errata future printings of original books and make it free on DDB if I have it.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No, because I feel I would be fine following guidelines for conversion, or do it myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in your post.)

Votes: 3 8.8%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To be clear, I'm against this because I don't want to see a cleavage in the community between "old" 5e and "new" 5e. I want the 2024 PHB to simply be "more" 5e, and the best way to do that is to present a book that isn't simply a redux of concepts we already have.

I want tables where players mix-and match old material, new material, and third-party material to be the norm. Tables where people say "New books only, everything from before the new PHB isn't allowed" should hopefully be rare. WotC can heavily influence the way that transition goes with the choices they make in presenting new material.
I feel what you are laying down, but the audience for the PHB is, mainly, new players: and that means providing the moat popular options front and center, which WotC knows better now thanks to years of Beyond and survey data.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I feel what you are laying down, but the audience for the PHB is, mainly, new players: and that means providing the moat popular options front and center, which WotC knows better now thanks to years of Beyond and survey data.
And that's fine. I'm not offended if WotC's marketing focus means new material isn't something that appeals to me. But going back to the OP's question, I won't buy a book that's predominantly reprints, whether that be a later expansion book or the PHB. I'm not anti-revision, I'm simply anti-rehashing.

JEB

Legend
Why do we want a new player in 2026 to not have the ability to pick up a PHB subclass from 2014 without hunting it down on D&D Beyond?
To add to this: After Monsters of the Multiverse was released, new users couldn't go back and buy Volo's and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes material anymore on DDB - it only remained accessible to existing buyers. I would expect the same to happen when the 2014 core is replaced by the 2024 core. Updates for 2024 edition will likely be the only form in which these options remain available (unless you have legacy access or an old print copy).

Remove ads