D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

Andvari

Hero
I'm not sure. It's definitely not the same actor (Aisling Groves-McKeown VS Mariya Anastasova), but a letter mentions that Raphael delights in Hope's singing when she's alone in prison, so I assumed the first voice was intended to be the deuteragonist of the House.
We can chalk that one up to "listener's interpretation" where no answer can be wrong.

Andvari

Hero
Duke Ulder Ravengard: A terrible fate for Ansur, my son. Yet my hopes for the city's future have never been higher.
Wyll: I failed, father. The wyrm has fallen.
Duke Ulder Ravengard: A terrible fate for Ansur, my son. Yet my hopes for the city's future have never been higher.
Wyll: I don't understand.
Wyll: Are you just repeating the same sentence regardless of my words, father?
Narrator: Uncertainty fills the air. Wyll has reached a fork in his path. In which direction will he travel?
Wyll: A terrible fate for Ansur, my son. Yet my hopes for the city's future have never been higher.
Duke Ulder Ravengard: Don't you worry, young Ander. Everything happens for a reason it does.

Andvari

Hero
Another interesting bug. Not sure if it's intended, but the helmet of Balduran cannot be moved out of my main character's inventory to another character. - it stays in my inventory. But I tricked the game by putting it inside a pouch within my inventory (doesn't work for the astral prism) and giving the pouch to Karlach, who could then equip the helmet from it.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I like how they get cheekily diagetic with the "Down to the River" background music sometimes - like, at the funeral in Umberlee's temple the choir are chanting it, and the barkeep in the Guildhall is humming it.

Andvari

Hero
Completed it yesterday. I think it's a potential masterpiece but it should probably have gotten an extra year of polish to get the bugs down to a somewhat reasonable level.

Scribe

Legend
Completed it yesterday. I think it's a potential masterpiece but it should probably have gotten an extra year of polish to get the bugs down to a somewhat reasonable level.

blinking trailer park boys GIF

I mean I guess my standards are low, other than some obvious chat bugs, I really didnt have too much trouble.

Andvari

Hero
blinking trailer park boys GIF

I mean I guess my standards are low, other than some obvious chat bugs, I really didnt have too much trouble.
I've been gaming since the late 80s. The most bug-ridden game I'd played before Baldur's Gate 3 was Neverwinter Nights 2 at release. Baldur's Gate 3 is about 2-3 times as bad in chapters 1-2 in terms of quantity, but fortunately the only major bug I encountered was Galen never re-appearing after being rescued. But in chapter 3 it is at least 10 times as bad. Almost every quest is bugged in some way and bugs occur in most battles (animations stop, spells don't work, jumping characters stop mid-jump and fall through the ground to their deaths etc). Major game mechanics break down, dialogues are messed up etc. For example, it wasn't possible to spend more than 2 tadpoles on powers (nothing happens when you try to unlock a new power), and the reinforcements button for your allies didn't work. (Fortunately the battles where you're supposed to use them are easy)

I've never played anything remotely this bad in that regard. At the same time I'm cutting the game a lot of slack because I understand it's massive and very complex. Were it a lesser game I would have quit long before its end.

At least I got Karlach's happy ending.

Last edited:

For a game of the size and complexity BG3 (frankly, has there ever been anything else so complex?) was remarkably low in bugs, and most of those were trivial. So what if there is the occasional repeated line of dialogue?

And if it hadn't launched before Starfield, it's unlikely that it would have been a commercial success. Being good is no use when everyone is too busy playing something else for word of mouth to be generated.

Last edited:

I strangely had very few bugs. There certainly were some, undeniably, but it was something like one every 2 hours or so. What I did notice is a staggering decline in reactivity compared to Act 1-2. I was frequently delighted by the game recognizing actions I had taken before in the early chapters, and responding to that. Where as Act 3 didn't react to my actions very much, or had much more linear solutions (Amulet of Bhaal really stands out).

In any case, remarkably coherent for a game this complex compared to recent games like the infamous Cyberpunk, Kingmaker, or Wrath. Or exceedingly buggy older games like Vampire: Bloodlines, Torment, Fallout, or the launch versions of Final Fantasy 6, Diablo 2, Everquest, or World of Warcraft. Talk about hot messes I still loved.

Remove ads