• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

the four-member party limit is a serious problem. I finally caved in and installed the limit extender mod to include Minsc and Jaheira to my regular rotation of Dark Urge, Shadowheart, Astarion and Karlach.
Newb question: where do you get and install the mod?

I have serious restart-itis with this game. After two months I still have not finished my first playthrough as a single-classed warlock. I am in Act 3. I started three other plays: one as a sorlock, one as a githyanki ranger/rogue and one as a dark urge swords bard. Each one has provided a different experience. Also, a dark urge run does not have to be an "evil" run. You can play either as giving into your murderous impulses or resisting them. I am trying the latter. Many consider resisting dark urge the "canon" run because of the parallels to BG 1 & 2. Though if I was optimizing it I probably should have started with a higher wisdom score, lol.

Ondath

Hero
Newb question: where do you get and install the mod?
I found all the mods I'm using over at NexusMods, and they all have instructions on how to install each one. The ones I've got are:

-Mod Fixer (I think this is necessary for any mod to work)
-Native Mod Loader (this is also needed for the other mods)
-Achievement Enabler (this allows me to get achievements even when running a modded game)
-Party Limit Begone

Two questions:

Any reason not to respec Karlach from Barb 5 to Barb 1/Fighter 4? I figure role play wise, maybe she needs the Barbarian level as her start, but I think Fighter suits her. And I’d like her to have a better AC (heavy armor) and I keep forgetting to rage. Maybe even just F5?

Any reason not to keep playing the same “regular party”? It’s my PC (C5 of Helm), Shadowheart (C4/Rogue 1), Gale (Wiz5), and either Karlach or Lae-zel (F5). Are their specific parts (other than the crèche with Lae-zel) where it’s imperative to have Wyll, Astarion, or Halsin along?

FYI, still in Act 1, level 5, about halfway done with Grymforge. Finished with everything on the surface but crèche.

Any reason not to respec Karlach from Barb 5 to Barb 1/Fighter 4?
Not really. If you use soul coins to power her infernal engine you get extra damage whilst raging or on less than half hp, and so give a little more millage as a barbarian.

My opinion, from a mechanical perspective, having reached level 5 as barbarian, you are better dipping into fighter for 2 levels (Action Surge) or 3 (Champion). Fighters are pretty dull in BG3.
Are their specific parts (other than the crèche with Lae-zel) where it’s imperative to have Wyll, Astarion, or Halsin along?
Asterion and Wyll both have personal quest dungeons in Act 3. Halsin's quest you do before he joins the party.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Two questions:

Any reason not to respec Karlach from Barb 5 to Barb 1/Fighter 4? I figure role play wise, maybe she needs the Barbarian level as her start, but I think Fighter suits her. And I’d like her to have a better AC (heavy armor) and I keep forgetting to rage. Maybe even just F5?

Any reason not to keep playing the same “regular party”? It’s my PC (C5 of Helm), Shadowheart (C4/Rogue 1), Gale (Wiz5), and either Karlach or Lae-zel (F5). Are their specific parts (other than the crèche with Lae-zel) where it’s imperative to have Wyll, Astarion, or Halsin along?

FYI, still in Act 1, level 5, about halfway done with Grymforge. Finished with everything on the surface but crèche.
1. If you respec from Barbarian 5 to take a level in fighter, then you'd lose out on Extra Attack. And you can't rage while in heavy armor. So if you want her to be a fighter, I'd just go all in. Especially if you keep forgetting Rage.

2. Yes, sometimes there are. If you like your party, there's normally no reason to change it up much. But most companions have some unique interactions that can have varying effects (them leaving the party/dying, unique magic items/permanent buffs, etc). Keep Shadowheart with you for most/all of Act 2, she has a lot of content in it. Astarion and Wyll have minor interactions in small parts of Act 2 (Moonrise Towers). Karlach, Gale, and Lae'zel have comparatively less in Act 2, but you're not losing out on anything as major as all the Creche content Lae'zel has.

Finally in act three with my fighter. Some thoughts:

1. FOMO is a real problem for me in this game. I keep making new character, which makes my restarting habit worse. Going to stick through one play through until the end, though.
2. Personally find the central villains and their plot to be not compelling at all. It’s a retread of BG1. At least Jaheira throws shade on it. Would have liked more dealing with Raphael and Mizora, and Zariel.
3. I expected to hate Karlach, but she’s my favorite NPC. Not romancing her until she gets some more content, though. She reminds me of my wife (though my wife has ordered me to only romance Shadowheart, and never Lae’zel, who she thinks looks like an addict).
4. Shadowheart looks better as a blonde.
5. I like the swole model, but the human male is missing the Chris Pine face when he’s swole. Face I chose looks too old, though. Next play through will probably be the wet noodle model.
6. Both Battlemaster and Champion are missing class features, which is disappointing.
7. Combat is fun.
8. The best parts of the game to me are when I’m exploring some area that isn’t central to the main plot. I feel more like an adventurer then.
9. The graphics and controls, coupled with (8), remind me of Neverwinter Nights 2, especially the Storm of Zehir expansion, which I loved. Would love to see a NWN 3 in this engine.

Overall, I’m enjoying the game so far. Need to beat it soon so I can get through FFXVI, and my wife has ordered the MGS Collection for me for Christmas, so need to be prepped to go back to Shadow Moses Island.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads