• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big creatures "moving out" of threatened area

Aaron

First Post
Interesting. I thought involuntary movement could provoke AoO's in 3.X?

Do you happen to have the source for the idea that involuntary movement doesn't provoke?
Involuntary movement provokes AoOs.

From the SRD:

Bull Rush Results

If you beat the defender’s Strength check result, you push him back 5 feet. If you wish to move with the defender, you can push him back an additional 5 feet for each 5 points by which your check result is greater than the defender’s check result. You can’t, however, exceed your normal movement limit. (Note: The defender provokes attacks of opportunity if he is moved. So do you, if you move with him. The two of you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from each other, however.)

Moving from a threatened square to a NON-threatened square is similarly not a problem.
SRD:

Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent.

Moving from a threatened square into ANOTHER threatened square is a problem and provokes AoO in doing so, with each and every such move, regardless of what other movement is, was, or will be involved
The rules say that only moving out of a threatened square provokes AoOs.

Where did you read that moving into another threatened square provokes?

If you look at the images I attached, B does not move out from any threatened square.
B is inside A's south-east threatened square in the first image, and is inside A's south-east threatened square in the second image as well.

Can you say that B did move out of any threatened square?

IMHO, you move out from a threatened square if you are no longer in that threatened square.
This doesn't happen for B in this scenario.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
The rules say that only moving out of a threatened square provokes AoOs.

If you're moving from a threatened square, you provoke. Moving from a threatened square into another threatened square is still leaving a threatened square.

So a Medium or smaller creature advancing on an opponent with Reach can provoke, not as they enter the threatened zone, but as they leave the first threatened square and enter the second one.

There's an illustration in the PHB on Page 138. I tried to insert it, but somehow it vanishes when I hit Post. (Annoying)

The text on the illustration to the right is hard to read in the graphic, but it reads, "Tordek charges to attack the troll. He provokes an attack of opportunity from the hobgoblin when he leaves square A (which the hobgoblin threatens). The troll threatens square B, so when Tordek leaves that square he provokes an attack of opportunity from the troll"

So where did I read that moving from one threatened square to another provokes? Straight from the PHB.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
It's worth noting that the rules on AoOs were rewritten, and the language considerably tightened, in the move from 3.0e to 3.5e.

In 3.0e, the rules didn't talk about squares, and the rules were that you provoked if you moved out of or through an opponent's threatened area.

In 3.5e, this was changed to moving out of (only) threatened squares.

(Which, incidentally, means that the answer to the OP's question is actually different in 3.0e and 3.5e. The move does provoke an AoO in 3.0e.)

Aaron

First Post
Moving from a threatened square into another threatened square is still leaving a threatened square.
Are you sure?

Are you saying that B moved out from a threatened square?

If you say so, B would be no longer in the threatened square he moved out from.
But, if you look at the images, B is still in the same threatened square.

Let's assume that every single square A threatens has a number, and let's assume that the only square of this threatened area that B occupies in the first image has the number 1.

Can you say that B ever moved out from square number 1?

For example, if an ongoing effect was in place in square 1, like a fire, or a damaging spell limited to that square, would you say that B moved out from square 1, and no longer suffers from its effects?

B, as a creature, never moved out from any square threatened by A.

The troll threatens square B, so when Tordek leaves that square he provokes an attack of opportunity from the troll"
So where did I read that moving from one threatened square to another provokes? Straight from the PHB.
Actually, if you re-read what you quoted, you'll see that Tordek, as a medium creature, occupies only one square, and thus when he leaves that square he provokes.

You are proving yourself wrong.

Nowhere, in the passage you quoted, is stated that moving from a threatened square to another threatened square provokes.
In fact, the passage you cited confirms my point: you provoke only when you leave, i.e. move out a threatened square.

Last edited:

Probably I'm misremembering a house rule as btb. I almost never dealt with AOO when playing 3E anyway. They either just never happened or we totally overlooked them when they did. Maybe a bit of both. Pay no attention to me.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
Are you sure?

With regards to my exact phrasing, yes I'm sure. If you move from one threatened square to another threatened square, you are still moving from a threatened square.

The example I gave illustrated that point. Something of a tangent from the OP.

The original illustrations in this discussion didn't make it clear that B was a Large creature, and that confused me a bit (as you can probably tell by reading my earlier posts).

With regards to the original question: B doesn't provoke advancing on A because he never leaves a threatened square during the advance.

But the question I was responding to most recently was whether or not moving from one threatened square to another provoked, and the answer is Yes.

Aaron

First Post
With regards to my exact phrasing, yes I'm sure. If you move from one threatened square to another threatened square, you are still moving from a threatened square.
I agree, but my point is: it doesn't matter if you move from a threatened square into another threatened square.
The rules state that you provoke if you move out a threatened square, no matter where you go.

That's why I underlined that your argument about moving from and into another threatened square wasn't relevant.

Remove ads