• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Big Modules

Treebore

First Post
Ferox4 said:
I would also recommend the Rappan Athuk series (Sword & Sorcery) or City of the Spider Queen. Granted, you'll have to find some lower level modules to prepare the PCs for the others, but if memory serves me, Rappan Athuk starts around 4th or 5th level and can be very challenging (depending on size of the party).

i would recommned Rappan Athuk as well. Only one problem, RA 3 is out of print, so would be very hard to find. A good substitute is Tomb of Abysthor by Necromancer.

Basically I recommend anything by Necromancer with the exceptions of Necropolis and the Maze of Zayene series, which is by Rob Kuntz, and everyone I have talked to about this series agree's on one thing, it sucks. If you are really into Egyption flavor you may like Necropolis.

For my current campaign, which started at first, I started with the Wizards Amulet, which is a free download from Necromancer's site. This leads into Crucible of Freya (I believe both are Ennie award winners). Then I am taking them into Endhome, which is the city that Lost City of Barakus lies near. I have Tomb of Abysth. nearby, as well as Rappan Athuk, Vault of Larin Karr, Morrick Mansion, and the Grey Citadel, all excellent modules by Necromancer games (under Sword and Sorcery's logo, by the way, except Lost City of B., which is under Troll Lords Games) I believe most, if not all have been reviewed on this site, and all were good to superb, except RA 1. Granted, using all of these modules could cost a lot, but to start you would only need The Crucible of Freya and the free download of the Amulet. That should take you at least 3 six hour game sessions, several more if you actually role-play. By that time maybe you can afford Lost City of B. ($35.00 retail, i believe), if not get Vault of Lorin Karr or Tomb of Abysthor, and come up with a plot line to hook the players into it. By the time you finish all of this and any other Necromancer modules you throw into it, Rappan Athuk 3.5 pdf download will hopefully be available (this will cost $$) and you can send them into the lowest levels to finish getting them to 20th level or beyond. Granted, this would be pricey to do all this, but pace your buying and you should be able to buy everything in a timely fashion with an average of $20.00/month.

If you want a campaign world to base them in I use the old/new Wilderlands material by Judges Guild and Necromancer Games. Old material is available in places that sell used stuff, and one or two are available as free downloads at judgesguild.net.

Disclaimer: I in no way work for Necromancer or Judges Guild, I just believe they put out the best consistant product in the business. They definitely put out the best modules/adventures. At least the maps in Necropolis and Maze of Zayene can even be made use of. Plus Necropolis has a lot of good ideas, it is by Gygax after all.

Good Luck and have fun!

BEKirby

First Post
Eltern said:
Freeport Series, then Banewarrens, then City of the Spider Queen. Tada!

Eltern

I'll also throw in a little plug for something I worked on:

You may also want to take a gander at Black Sails Over Freeport, a mega-adventure that will take your players from around 6th level to around 14th. And if you start with the original Freeport trilogy, that'll take them from 1st to around 14th!

Details about Black Sails are available at the Green Ronin site.

S'mon

Legend
Crothian said:
Necropolis, I never ran it but of the super mods I've read I've really enjoyed the detail and the egyptiian feel of it

I thought Necropolis was great - until I tried to run it. In play I found it hideously convoluted & nonsensical, with terrible editing & layout. I DM'd several sessions & it got worse and worse. Since I abandoned it I feel much happier.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
S'mon said:
I thought Necropolis was great - until I tried to run it. In play I found it hideously convoluted & nonsensical, with terrible editing & layout. I DM'd several sessions & it got worse and worse. Since I abandoned it I feel much happier.

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I've always found EGG's stuff to be largely unplayable without a lot of work. Some great ideas but some really poor execution I think, in part, to his tendency to procrastinate and then rush to finish (eg, T1-4). However I should stress that his great ideas are really GREAT (eg, the set-up of the competing drow houses in D1-3).

Also IMO, the Maze series proved that Rob Kuntz should only be allowed to work for FFE where not much is expected (note to WotC: perhaps you should include such a covenant in the next SRD update?).

diaglo

Adventurer
Calim said:
I am interested in finding a module that would take you from low level(first or second) to high level(18th or higher).

the WotC adventures try and do this. but they are 2000ed, so you will need to do some converting if you are using 3.11ed for Workgroups.

as for big adventures not quite in this range..

i like: Necropolis, Banewarrens, City of the Spider Queen, Rappan Athuk, Maze of Zayene, and the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. but as noted you will need to make adjustments for all of these to fit your individual campaigns/playing styles.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Any Necromancer Game module is so damn good, but the highlights are certainly Necropolis, Rappan Thuk, and of course Tomb. But basically go with Treebore's suggestions. They are right on the mark. Especially if you get the lair series.

Treebore

First Post
Derulbaskul said:
At the risk of being branded a heretic, I've always found EGG's stuff to be largely unplayable without a lot of work. Some great ideas but some really poor execution I think, in part, to his tendency to procrastinate and then rush to finish (eg, T1-4). However I should stress that his great ideas are really GREAT (eg, the set-up of the competing drow houses in D1-3).

Also IMO, the Maze series proved that Rob Kuntz should only be allowed to work for FFE where not much is expected (note to WotC: perhaps you should include such a covenant in the next SRD update?).

I agree with you about EGG. The virtue of it is that I now can take any module/product and turn it into something i can use, thanks to all of the experience that Gary gave me. I like Necropolis for the ideas, but I won't run it like it is written, not by a long shot. Since i don't foresee ever having enough time to re-write it; all it is to me is a source of ideas; at least they are exceptionally good ones.

I also agree that if I was Kuntz I would be hiding my head in shame after the Maze series. Makes me wonder if he really did his own earlier work, or if he just somehow got his name on it. Very disappointing since i liked his pre 3e/Necro material.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads