D&D 5E Bigby's Back Hand as a cantrip?

TheSword

Legend
Honestly it is almost flavor text. It could have an AC of 1 and attacking it would still be a complete waste of time. It is the same action to cast a new one as to have it move and attack. The caster could just cast it every round and it would have the same effect. I only included it to have it act similar to the more powerful Bigby's Hand spell, which also has an AC of 20 but has hit points equal to the caster's.

Cases where the duration and the fact that you can attack the hand would actually matter. If the caster was silenced he could still attack until the hand was destroyed. Or if you ready an action to attack the hand when the caster had it attack you. The first one would be pretty uncommon, but a benefit if it actually came up. The second one would force the opponent to waste their action attacking a cantrip creation that can be recreated the very next round. Maybe if you had a minion attacking the hand to protect the big bad? But it still seems like a lot of effort to stop a spell that might do a few d4 damage and give advantage on one attack.
My concern isn’t that the hand can be re-cast. Though that’s an argument against it if anything. It’s the fact that it’s reasonable for a person or creature that just gets punched by a tangible conjugation in front of them to try and attack it. AC 20 makes it extremely hard to destroy. The power of the cantrip then becomes its ability to distract you, not it’s actual effect. A mountain lion doesn’t know the caster can throw another one next round and attacking the hand is pointless.

If the hand isn’t there to be attacked, why does it have an AC. If it is, then the AC needs to come down a lot and so does the effect.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
My concern isn’t that the hand can be re-cast. Though that’s an argument against it if anything. It’s the fact that it’s reasonable for a person or creature that just gets punched by a tangible conjugation in front of them to try and attack it. AC 20 makes it extremely hard to destroy. The power of the cantrip then becomes its ability to distract you, not it’s actual effect. A mountain lion doesn’t know the caster can throw another one next round and attacking the hand is pointless.

If the hand isn’t there to be attacked, why does it have an AC. If it is, then the AC needs to come down a lot and so does the effect.
I considered making it untargetable, like a Mage Hand, but then it doesn't really feel like a Bigby's Hand spell. Chill Touch has the spectral hand clinging to you for a full round, but I have never heard of anyone trying to attack it or spend a round trying to knock it off. How do they know they can't unless they try?

Honestly it would come down to DM fiat. No character would attack the spell because they would know it would be useless. The same could be said for any opponent that has an Int of 6 or better. If it is an animal, why would they attack the annoying hand when there is someone with a sword attacking them? If there is no one else attacking the animal, then the advantage is wasted and you are doing 1d4 a round (or 2d4 at 5th, etc.). Maybe one fruitless attack and then the animal decides it is better to just go grab his wizard lunch, which can't be more than 30' away, and take off running.

All that to say, just don't attack it. It is tangible, it exists, it can be destroyed, just like the big hand, but don't bother. It only exists as a physical construct to make it interesting.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Okay, it occurs to me that my spell is way better than True Strike, which only gives the caster advantage on his next attack, lasts for a minute and requires concentration. However, True Strike is a complete crap spell and should be removed from the PHB. I nominate my spell as the official replacement. :)

Also, I will point out that Guiding Bolt is a ranged spell attack that does 4d6 radiant damage and there is no save for the advantage effect. Having seen it in action, many times the advantage is not needed or wasted altogether. So adding it to a cantrip really should be that big a deal.

Of course I could just have it do 1d8 force damage with no rider, but that's kinda boring. And if I did that I might make it a ranged spell attack instead of a save. Eh, whatever.

Last edited:

Lord Twig

Adventurer
You could probably write a pretty decent sized book on new Bigbys Hand spells. Bigbys Jazz Hand, Bigbys Luke Skywalkers Artificial Hand, & A Bird in Bigsbys Hand is Worth Two in the Bush. The possibilities are endless.
I was thinking of Bigby's Helping Hand. Just gives the Help action.

Remove ads