D&D 5E Bigby's Back Hand as a cantrip?

So for a spell that is also colloquially known by some as "Bigby's Bitchslap", what would the statblock of a cantrip from the Wizard obsessed with hands be like?

Like range 30 feet?
Force damage?

I always assumed mage hand was the cantrip Bigby's spell.

Force or bludgeoning damage seems appropriate, but I don't really think the particulars of the spell are that interesting beyond that. As long as it fits inside the boundaries drawn by existing cantrips it's fine.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd allow:
Range 30 ft
Evocation
Instantaneous
VSM (glove)

When you cast it, pick one of the following:

1.) Roll a Spell attack roll. d6 force damage (2d6 at 5, 3d6 at 11, 4d6 at 17)
2.) Target makes a strength saving throw. On a failure, they are pushed 5' away from you.

Torquar

Explorer
I'd take Sapping Sting as a base.

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

Str save or take 1d4/2d4/3d4/4d4 force damage and pushed back 5 feet.
Maybe up the damage to d6 as a 5' pushback isn't as strong as Prone.

TheSword

Legend
It depends if moving them is essential.
In which case infestation is probably the closest match. Though note it is random direction.

Moving 5 feet is massive. It can break someone from combat. It can push them off a cliff, or into a spell effect. I would say it is the equal of prone if you can chose the direction.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Mage Backhand
conjuration cantrip
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You create a Tiny hand of shimmering, translucent force in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. The hand lasts for the spell’s duration.

The hand is an object that has AC equal to 10 + your Wisdom modifier and 1 hit point. If it drops to 0 hit points, the spell ends. It has a Strength equal to your Intelligence and a Dexterity equal to your Wisdom. The hand doesn’t fill its space.

When you cast this spell and as an action on each of your turns, you can command the hand to move up to 30 feet and make an unarmed strike against a creature within 5 feet of it. It adds your proficiency bonus to the attack roll.

The hand can make more than one unarmed strike when you reach higher levels. two strikes at 5th level, three strikes at 11th level, and four strikes at 17th level. You can move the hand before or after each strike (moving it no more than 30 feet in total) and you can direct the strikes at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each unarmed strike.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
I would do it this way:

Bigby's Punching Fist (or Bigby's Backhand)
evocation cantrip
Duration: 1 minute
You create a Tiny fist of shimmering, translucent force in an unoccupied space that you can see within range. The hand lasts for the spell’s duration or until you dismiss it as an action. The hand vanishes if it is ever more than 30 feet away from you or if you cast this spell again.
The fist is an object that has AC 20 and 1 hit point. If it takes any damage, the spell ends.
When you cast the spell and as an action on your turn you can move the fist up to 30' and target a creature of your choice within 5 feet of the fist. The target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or take 1d4 force damage and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage.
This spell's damage increases by 1d4 when you reach 5th level (2d4), 11th level (3d4), and 17th level (4d4).

Edit: Added a 1 round limit to the advantage rider.

Last edited:

Remove ads