D&D General Dragon Sorcerer Buff Houserule.

Zardnaar

Legend
So I thought I would buff the Dragon sorcerers due to Tashas. More spells known extra 2 at level 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.

Turns out there's not enough to go around so I refuffed some and changed them.

Cantrips. Zap (as firebolt 1d8 lightning damage). Reason lack of ranged lightning cantrip.

Level 1. Bonus spells absorb elements, chromatic orb. Witchbolt is meh.

Level 3. Dragon breath, Lightning blast (as shatter, lightning damage dex save ignore construct bit.).

So basically filled in some holes.

Thoughts on changes and would you like them if you wanted to play.

Probably not going to do level 3 options but Tashas elemental substitute can be used and lightning bolt and fly are powerful enough to warrant the sorcery point.

Last edited:

It might be worth the effort to make a list for each dragon type, inventing new spells as needed. Fire would be easy to fill out, but as you noticed lightning doesn’t have a lot of options.

Zardnaar

Legend
It might be worth the effort to make a list for each dragon type, inventing new spells as needed. Fire would be easy to fill out, but as you noticed lightning doesn’t have a lot of options.

Creating more work. That's 5 to do vs 1 and 4 won't get used.

I planned out 1 spell per level but upped it to two without thinking about it to much.

Worst case scenario generic spells like absorb elements, chromatic orb, dragons breath become freebies.

Beyond that it was a bit tight. If it was me in a normal game I woukd have picked a Mordenkainens race, chromatic orb, dragons breath and fireball if nothing better was available.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
For my Dragon Sorcerer Spell this is how I handled it.

Draconic Spells
1st-level Draconic Bloodline feature

You learn one cantrip of your choice from any class list that deals the damage type associated with your draconic ancestry. It counts as a sorcerer spell for you.

You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Draconic Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be an Evocation or a Transmutation spell from the druid, sorcerer, or wizard spell list.

1st Level - Absorb Elements, Chromatic Orb
2nd Level - Dragon's Breath, Locate Object
3rd Level - Fly, Protection from Energy
4th Level - Leomund's Secret Chest, Polymorph
5th Level - Legend Lore, Summon Draconic Spirit

I preferred giving my Draconic Sorcerer spells that better fit a more generic dragon theme and allowing a player to then choose to pick up more offensive spells by replacing them.

Of course I have a large selection of homebrew spells for them to choose from as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
For my Dragon Sorcerer Spell this is how I handled it.

Draconic Spells
1st-level Draconic Bloodline feature

You learn one cantrip of your choice from any class list that deals the damage type associated with your draconic ancestry. It counts as a sorcerer spell for you.

You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Draconic Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be an Evocation or a Transmutation spell from the druid, sorcerer, or wizard spell list.

1st Level - Absorb Elements, Chromatic Orb
2nd Level - Dragon's Breath, Locate Object
3rd Level - Fly, Protection from Energy
4th Level - Leomund's Secret Chest, Polymorph
5th Level - Legend Lore, Summon Draconic Spirit

I preferred giving my Draconic Sorcerer spells that better fit a more generic dragon theme and allowing a player to then choose to pick up more offensive spells by replacing them.

Of course I have a large selection of homebrew spells for them to choose from as well.

Not a bad way of doing it and only has to be done once.

Mind if I potentially yoink this and run it up the flagpole and see what the player says?

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't mind at all, yoink away!

Well I ran up the flagpole. For lightning the spells are.

1. Chromatic orb. Absorb elements
2. Dragon Breath, refluffed shatter
3. Lightning Bolt Fly

Tweaked your list basically. Similar to Tashas going to allow swapping spells with lightning and Dragon (Midgard) spells instead of schools.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I allow any spell that reflects the chosen dragon type element to be chosen rather than creating a list (I do this for other subclasses as well). If I did make a list, however, I'd add spells that cause fear. I can't remember of dragon fear is a thing in 5e, but it was in earlier editions so I'd keep that as part of the dragon theme.

Horwath

Legend
1. Absorb elements, Command
2. Dragon breath, Suggestion
3. Fly, Fear
4. Divination, Charm monster
5. Summon draconic spirit, Cone of Cold(match damage type to dragon)

Remove ads