D&D (2024) Poll: Will WOTC change the way cantrips scale for multiclass characters?

Will the new rules change the way cantrips scale?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I don't think the fighter or rogue are pulling out their dex save-based sword swings when confronted with a big strong heavily armored high-ac enemy..
Are you talking about an older edition? In 5e there are close to zero "high-ac" commonly used monsters not found in
cthulu in power armor.jpg
There are plenty of commonly used energy resist/immune magic resistance legendary resist & high save monsters however

ezo

I cast invisibility
I guess these ac numbers are averages, but they still don't seem right practically-speaking. there are many high cr monsters that you'll regularly encounter with low ac, but the ones with high ac are much less frequent.
Oh, I know, this is probably why "they still don't seem right practically-speaking":

The table has the ACs for over 1800 creatures for 5E (mostly WotC by I think it also includes 3PP). The two important columns are By Tier and Cumulative. By Tier is what I showed in my prior post, and considers only creatures within that tier range (tier 4 includes all CR above 20). However, if you use lower tier creatures in higher tiers (such as an Ogre at CR 2 while in Tier 2), you see the cumulative averages using those lower tier creatures drops the average AC, rather significantly as you get into higher tiers since there are fewer creatures there.

1712181903756.png

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Oh, I know, this is probably why "they still don't seem right practically-speaking":

The table has the ACs for over 1800 creatures for 5E (mostly WotC by I think it also includes 3PP). The two important columns are By Tier and Cumulative. By Tier is what I showed in my prior post, and considers only creatures within that tier range (tier 4 includes all CR above 20). However, if you use lower tier creatures in higher tiers (such as an Ogre at CR 2 while in Tier 2), you see the cumulative averages using those lower tier creatures drops the average AC, rather significantly as you get into higher tiers since there are fewer creatures there.

View attachment 355792
Very much appreciate you providing this data!

View attachment 355792
It’s kind of meaningless though, since most tables do not spend their time fighting “avarage” monsters. Those are boring. The mechanically interesting ones are the outliers, so it’s more likely those will be encountered in an actual game.

M_Natas

Hero
Simple:

Cantrips will not scale at all, but certain casters will get the abilitites to cast more than one action-cantrip per turn.
It is like the extra attack feature of the martials, an extra cantrip feature will be given to most caster classes at 5th level an a third and forth one to wizards as supreme casters at level 11 and 17.

Extra Cantrip: Beginning at 5th level, you can cast a cantrip twice, instead of once, whenever you cast a cantrip using an action on your turn.

11th level thrice, 17th level quadrice...

Of course that is just my idea ;).

ezo

I cast invisibility
Very much appreciate you providing this data!
No problem. I update it a couple times a year as the excel file by @MechaTarrasque is updated.

It’s kind of meaningless though, since most tables do not spend their time fighting “avarage” monsters. Those are boring. The mechanically interesting ones are the outliers, so it’s more likely those will be encountered in an actual game.
Not at all, it is how the game was designed. Although that is your experience, but mine is vastly different. The "boring, average" monsters (as you call them) are just as common as the "mechanically interesting" ones. I use, and see in use, a very wide variety of creatures in an actual game.

KYRON45

Explorer
My general response to any given rule at the table is: Is that really how that works? I'm a very liberal DM. Most players only know the rules they want to so when what they suggest sounds fishy; I make them look it up for me. We use the rules more like guidelines.
My first DM had this bizarre skill. He could roll a d20 in such a way that it looked like he was rolling it, but was really just placing it down on the number he wanted. I have no point; I'm just waiting for my car to warm up.

It's a game...have fun. Everyone have a great day!!!

Remove ads